Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 5000 & Explorer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As a proud new owner of MacBook Pro I can safely say it is one of the finest purchases I have made in recent years. I'm not having many problems, and any that I do, I find solutions with ease. My query is regarding wireless mice connectivity which doesn't seem to be covered in any other posts, probably cos its too obvious.

I don't like the apple mice, as I find them unfortable. I have been a big fan and a long time user of the Microsft Intellimouse Explorer (wired mouse). The newest version, ('Wireless Optical Mouse 5000' or 'Explorer') is extremely comfortable, but before I buy it I want to know if the mouse can connect directly to the Macbook Pro through the laptops bluetooth interface without the bluetooth base station that microsoft provide with the product. The base station connects via a USB port, so it seems pointless to buy a wireless mouse and then take up one of the limited USB ports so that it can communicate with the laptop, when the laptop already has bluetooth functionality. I've tried checking out Microsofts website and there's no info.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As a proud new owner of MacBook Pro I can safely say it is one of the finest purchases I have made in recent years. I'm not having many problems, and any that I do, I find solutions with ease. My query is regarding wireless mice connectivity which doesn't seem to be covered in any other posts, probably cos its too obvious.

I don't like the apple mice, as I find them unfortable. I have been a big fan and a long time user of the Microsft Intellimouse Explorer (wired mouse). The newest version, ('Wireless Optical Mouse 5000' or 'Explorer') is extremely comfortable, but before I buy it I want to know if the mouse can connect directly to the Macbook Pro through the laptops bluetooth interface without the bluetooth base station that microsoft provide with the product. The base station connects via a USB port, so it seems pointless to buy a wireless mouse and then take up one of the limited USB ports so that it can communicate with the laptop, when the laptop already has bluetooth functionality. I've tried checking out Microsofts website and there's no info.

Thanks.

Hi, I had a bit of trouble tracking down peoples experiences with the exact mouse you mention, but I did uncover these testimonies re: Microsofts Wireless (Bluetooth) Laser Mouse 8000.

I bought this mouse for use my Macbook pro and to replace my aging desktop PC mouse. It works wonderfully for both the MacOS and Windows XP (installed with bootcamp) with the integrated bluetooth in the laptop (I did have to play around with the bluetooth settings under macosx a bit to get it to work though). The included bluetooth transceiver works nicely for my desktop and another laptop that does not have integrated bluetooth.

While not all of the functions for MacOSX it does provide basic mouse functions (left click, right click, and scroll). And some may find the additions Windows functions quite useful (such as the magnify button)

My favorite feature is the included rechargeable battery so I will not have to bother with throwing out AAs every few weeks or so. It feels quite natural in hand and I highly recommend it for someone looking for a bluetooth mouse (that finally includeds an on/off switch)

Works with Mac OS X too., May 20, 2007

I bought this mouse to replace my decrepit Bluetooth Intellimouse Explorer. I was betting on the fact that this one would also work with my iMac, since it didn't mention it anywhere on the box. Needless to say it took a little fudging, but I discovered this method works well if you want to get it working on your Mac:

1. Turn on the mouse
2. Press or hold down connect button until light flashes alternating red and green
3. Click Bluetooth tray icon; Browse Device...
4. If the device "Mouse" is not in the list click search, then click browse.
5. Next to search button it will say "Device does not have the necessary services."
6. Click Cancel; Quit Bluetooth File Exchange
7. Open System Preferences; Bluetooth; Devices section
8. Settings section; Click the device ID in the list of your mouse, Add to Favorites

Using this method, you can hook up the mouse with your Mac's built-in Bluetooth rather than using the included dongle.

Overall, this mouse looks and feels great. I was pleasantly surprised to find that side-scrolling also works, and you can always assign the extra mouse buttons to Expose in your system preferences.

Hope this info helps you in your decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ive had -0- problems using mice without their recievers with the built-in BT!

as far as buttons on mice, that leaves something to be desired in osx

if u think about it, the mouse really SHOULD work without its reciever, because after all IT IS a bluetooth mouse, the usb dongle just gives EVERYONE BT

OP
A
Reaction score
Good point. Technically, because it's using the same wireless interface it should work. The only thing that's holding me back is the idea that maybe the mice that come with their own receiver are exchanging data in a way that only those devices will understand. Seems dumb & a very non user friendly theory, but coming from a long windows history, you become paranoid about such incompatiblities. I'm new to the concept of all devices just "getting along"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
last i checked BT was a standard, so if your mousy has it, itll work....

:)

but of course, i understand the windows background...however BT 99.9% just works on stuff like this

u can always try it, and if it doesnt, take it back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.