Badly need to compress MP3 files?

J

~John

I have 2106 songs on my i-pod that are taking up 20 GB of space. Some of the songs on my i-pod are over 30MB per song which can't be right. I need to compress the files somehow. Is there software that will allow me to do this? I took one MP3 formatted song that was 40MB and converted it to WMA format and then back to MP3. This reduced the song to 9MB but the process is very tedious and I was hoping I could do all my music in one large batch. Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Your mp3s are 30MB per song? Go into itunes > preferences > importing and set the quality (kbps) to about 192kbps. Then go into your library, select the tunes you want converted, and go advanced > convert to mp3. Actually you might be able to create a playlist first (manually) so you know which ones to delete afterwards (you'll end up with duplicate copies of everything).

You'll suffer from some loss of quality, but unless you have great speakers and a great ear, I wouldn't worry about it that much. It's similar to what you've done with WMA, but generally WMA has worse quality so you may notice more of a difference if you do that instead.

OP
J

~John

Thanks for the help

I appreciate your help.

muso said:
Your mp3s are 30MB per song? Go into itunes > preferences > importing and set the quality (kbps) to about 192kbps. Then go into your library, select the tunes you want converted, and go advanced > convert to mp3. Actually you might be able to create a playlist first (manually) so you know which ones to delete afterwards (you'll end up with duplicate copies of everything).

You'll suffer from some loss of quality, but unless you have great speakers and a great ear, I wouldn't worry about it that much. It's similar to what you've done with WMA, but generally WMA has worse quality so you may notice more of a difference if you do that instead.

OP
T

Tangerine

if you convert the files to AAC format in itunes it will reduce the size of the file

OP
P

PowerbookG417

i have even gone to the point of putting my files down to 64kbps when converting them...and i dont notice a whole lot of difference...and you get a really small file..sy like 2 megs
but the acc format is probably going to be your better bet

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.