Quick question about Windows XP on Macbook

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

I have a quick question that i didnt want to post in the apple.com macbook forum, but hopefully you guys can give me some insight.

I just brought home with me Windows XP SP2 OEM. I was telling my boss about buying a copy, but he gave me this one and told me to take it since he had it lying around. However, after reading what OEM means, i realized that its the CD that came with his desktop PC at work.

I know i'm not suppose to install it because its meant for that computer only, but IF i were to install it, would it cause an issue for my macbook or his PC? Is there a way that MicroSoft will track it and put a stop to both OS's (if that's even possible)?

To be completely honest, i would rather install this FREE copy of XP than have to buy a new one for over $100. I just spent all my extra cash on my new HD for my macbook, and i'm plum-out of cash. But if i must, i will.

Please adivse on this. Thanks in advance.

Best,

BAD_ANDY0881

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It will only work for 30 days because it is activated on your bosses computer. You can put in the CD-Key but it will give you an error that it has already been used

OP
B
Reaction score
That's all i needed to know. I'll be buying a new CD on ebay or something then.

Thanks trpnmonkey, i appreciate the quick reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Hey bad_andy0881,

Go to Newegg.com and they sell the OEM version for $89.99 the cheapest out there and it works great, it works for me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Good Deal.

Enjoy ur Mac ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.