Setting up shared printer

Reaction score
I currently have a Brother MFC 210c connected to a Windows XP SP2 machine via USB. I have another XP machine as well. Both computers are connected ethernet to a d-link router. I have a workgroup set up and can access files from computer to computer and i can also print from the 2nd computer to the shared printer with no issue. I just got a Macbook Pro (10.4.9 2.0ghz 1gbRAM) and I connect wirelessly to the router. I have no issues connecting to the same workgroup and can mount shared folders with no issues. However; I cannot seem to access the shared printer from the mac for the life of me. When I go to the printer setup utility and click add there are no printers in the list. I click more printers , windows printing , workgroup and i do see what i belive to be the workgroup. Even though it does not list the actual workgroup name the title leads me to believe it is the PC with the printer attatched, and it accepts the username/pass for that machine. After entering the login informmation i get a blank screen(no listed printers).

The printer is set up as a shared printer on the PC. I can print from both PCs. I have enabled file,printer, and windows sharing on the mac. I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the Brother website on the mac. The printer name is 10 characters long. No firewalls currenty active.

From what im reading this should be as easy as enabling sharing and adding the printer so i'm at a loss here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacMike

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks stink9025,

I did folow all of the setup instuctions on this site, the problem is that the printer does not appear in the window after directing the setup util to the workgroup PC. I did follow some other tech help step on the iFelix site as well:

On the PC with printer i added Print Services for Unix in Add windows components and set it to automaticaly start.

Unfortunatly the printer still does not appear

Reaction score
Thanks stink9025,

I did folow all of the setup instuctions on this site, the problem is that the printer does not appear in the window after directing the setup util to the workgroup PC. I did follow some other tech help step on the iFelix site as well:

On the PC with printer i added Print Services for Unix in Add windows components and set it to automaticaly start.

Unfortunatly the printer still does not appear

Have a read through this (if you haven't already seen it that it).

In your first post you mention Windows Printing, but have you followed this method? :

On the Mac, go to the print centre, add a new printer and choose Windows Printing

Do you know if your printer supports the HCRP Bluetooth profile and has a printer driver that supports printing over Bluetooth. This is another (if not complicated) option.

I also found this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.