Back Up of iPhoto

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB
I want to back up the photos, albums and settings I have in iPhoto. I have the original photos backed up elsewhere, but I want an exact copy of the iPhoto folder. I've not put all my photos into iPhoto and don't want to spend the hours and hours sorting them again.

However the iPhoto folder is nearly 6GB so I can't just burn it to 1 DVD. Without taking individual folders out can I burn the whole folder to 2 discs? Can I make a dmg file and burn it to two discs?

I just wish Apple had the foresight they had with iTunes and included a similar back option!

GP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I have a similar question...
I backed up all my photos using apple Backup sometime ago. The other day I tried to put all the pictures on another comp using Backup's restore option. The files appear to be in the computer however they do not appear when iPhoto is opened. All the pictures are in their proper subfolders however iPhoto only sees the ones that were imported by other means (ie. camera). On iTunes you can show the program where all files are located however this does not appear to work with iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
If you have a newer Mac with a dual-layer DVD burner you can burn up to (I believe) 8GB to a single DL disc.

If you don't have one, then you can just divide up the entire iPhoto folder in your home folder to fit on two sep discs. But keep this in mind:

iPhoto stores your ORIGINALS and any REVISIONS you've made such as cropping, sizing, enhancements, rotations, etc. If you've done a lot of that stuff to your images, then you have two copies in the iPhoto folder. You will notice that inside your iPhoto Library folder that you have "Originals" and "Modified" folders.

The most important thing to remember when burning a backup of your library is to backup the files in the iPhoto Library folder that aren't images as well. Those files contain the info for your albums, dates, comments, etc.

OP
Ginger Pilot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB
CreativeGuy,

Thanks, I've just checked my DVD information, I never knew my DVD burner was dual-layer! I can now burn the folder as one!

Cheers

GP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
Those dual layer DVD blanks are a little more expensive than regular DVDs, but it's worth it, IMO.

FWIW, I think it's a good idea to burn two copies of each backup DVD and keep one of those copies at a family member's home, safe deposit box, etc... just in case of fire at your place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
it won't be long and you will be buying an external drive or 2. I have over 10,000 photos. when added to itunes and my other "stuff" my user directory is over 96GIG. I am currently in process of digitizing 3000 slides I took in my early days of photography. they are 'bout 4meg each.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.