MS Access to Filemaker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I wonder if anyone can help me here. I have come over from the Dark Side.

Up till now I have used MS Access to record my photographs. The database records the usual information such as aperture , speed, lens camera. As well as details of location, title and subject notes.

Now this database is a relational database so the Apple Works application will not do.

So my question is can an Access database be converted to a database in Filemaker.

If can does anyone have any recommendations and work arounds.

Thanking you in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I don't know about filemaker, but NeoOffice is free, and has a similar app to Access built-in to it. You might take a look at it and see if it will work.

Brian

Reaction score
I don't know about Filemaker either but I converted all my Access files over to OO format (Neoffice). Worked fine for me although the process at the time (5 years ago) was a little convoluted. At the time I was using Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Up till now I have used MS Access to record my photographs. The database records the usual information such as aperture , speed, lens camera. As well as details of location, title and subject notes.

Thanking you in advance

If you're mainly concerned about keeping track of photos, perhaps you should consider an application that was built to do just that. Like Aperture or Lightroom.

Reaction score
Interesting. I was eating at a chinese buffet tonight and two guys were having a business meeting in the next booth over and I kept hearing one of them refer to putting things into "Filemaker." I had forgotten about that until now. I just googled it and whataya know... They were mac users...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
If you're mainly concerned about keeping track of photos, perhaps you should consider an application that was built to do just that. Like Aperture or Lightroom.

The database , I currently use is for both Film and digital capture. It records a llot of data apart from what is recorded in the RAW data. Aperture and Lightroom are post process applications. I use PS CS and I will be getting Aperture more for RAW to JPEG and some post process work. From what I have read Aperture falls short of CS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The database , I currently use is for both Film and digital capture. It records a llot of data apart from what is recorded in the RAW data. Aperture and Lightroom are post process applications. I use PS CS and I will be getting Aperture more for RAW to JPEG and some post process work. From what I have read Aperture falls short of CS.

Aperture can store a great deal more than RAW metadata, but a full database it ain't.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Aperture can store a great deal more than RAW metadata, but a full database it ain't.

This is true, but only if shooting in RAW, well, with Nikon captured files. If shooting in JPEG no data is recorded.

OK I hear you say, just shoot RAW. Ah, but on some occasions you may just need a snap and will not want to do the post processing.

Hence the reason for a proper database. Also I pointed out earlier , I also shoot with film as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.