Garageband not recording the acoustic guitar.

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I've been playing around with Garageband for two days now and I tried connecting my acoustic guitar directly to my macbook. I've tried recording on Garageband but it was really soft initally, and it sounded like the guitar sound was picked up from the inbuilt microphones instead. So after fiddling around with the audio input and output in sound preferences in attempt to solve it, Garageband records nothing from my guitar now.

Is there anyone who can help me out with this?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I had similar problems. There is a page in Help that might, um, help.

It says:

If you don't hear sound from a Real Instrument, try the following:
Make sure your microphone or instrument is connected to your computer, is turned on, and is working.
Make sure the correct Real Instrument track is selected.
Make sure that the track is not muted, and that no other tracks are soloed.
Open the Track Info pane and check that the correct input channel and input format are selected for the instrument. Make sure that input monitoring is turned on for the track.
Make sure the volume slider for the track is not all the way to the left.
Make sure the output volume for your computer’s speaker, or the external speakers you are using, is set high enough to hear the sound from the instrument.

The most likely is that you don't have the monitor turned on. See the screenshot.

Hope this helps.

Screenshot_1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Please note that the input is not a microphone input but instead a "line in".

Because of this, the signal strength coming from your acoustic will not be amplified by your mac and so will be quiet when recorded.

A good way around this is to get some form of input box infront of it that will act as a preamp. Line 6 among other companys offer good devices that will do just that.

~~ TS ~~

OP
A
Reaction score
I had similar problems. There is a page in Help that might, um, help.

It says:

If you don't hear sound from a Real Instrument, try the following:
Make sure your microphone or instrument is connected to your computer, is turned on, and is working.
Make sure the correct Real Instrument track is selected.
Make sure that the track is not muted, and that no other tracks are soloed.
Open the Track Info pane and check that the correct input channel and input format are selected for the instrument. Make sure that input monitoring is turned on for the track.
Make sure the volume slider for the track is not all the way to the left.
Make sure the output volume for your computer’s speaker, or the external speakers you are using, is set high enough to hear the sound from the instrument.

The most likely is that you don't have the monitor turned on. See the screenshot.

Hope this helps.

I did the above but still nothing is being recorded from the guitar and the monitor is on. I also made sure it was under line-in but still, nothing is working.

Does it has anything to do with the sound preference? I've attached the screenshot below, maybe you could see if there's anything wrong with the volume?

Also, in garageband, what is the input supposed to be? Channel 1 or 2? Last thing, is amp simulation needed?

Sorry, I'm really new at this but thanks for helping out! :)

Sound Pref.png

Reaction score
I did the above but still nothing is being recorded from the guitar and the monitor is on. I also made sure it was under line-in but still, nothing is working.

Does it has anything to do with the sound preference? I've attached the screenshot below, maybe you could see if there's anything wrong with the volume?

Also, in garageband, what is the input supposed to be? Channel 1 or 2? Last thing, is amp simulation needed?

Sorry, I'm really new at this but thanks for helping out! :)

Does the sound preferences meter light up when you strum your guitar?

Channel 1, I think.

Amp simulation is not needed to get sound. What is picking up the sound from your guitar?

Reaction score
I assumed it's an electro accoustic, as you said you tried connecting your acoustic guitar directly to your macbook.

If it's just an accoustic then the mike's all you have.

I tend to set mine to channel 1 mono, but if you can hear it, it'll record.

OP
A
Reaction score
Uh, my guitar is just an acoustic one, not an electro acoustic. Also, it doesn't have an inbuilt amp.

I've tried strumming but the sound preference meter isn't lighting up. Garageband isn't picking up any sounds from my guitar at all now. I think I've made it worse after fiddling with the sound preference. Argh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Guitars do not put out and amplified signal. As TS said, you need something between the guitar and the computer to strengthen the signal for it to be recognized.

Reaction score
Does your guitar have a pickup or are you using a microphone?

Tell us exactly how you are plugged into your Mac.

Reaction score
Alias09, I think as your guitar is a pure accoustic the mike is the only form of input you have, hence you'll need to change the input settings back to the mike rather than the line in.

OP
A
Reaction score
I connected the guitar just using the adaptor. See picture of adaptor below.

Hmmm, also the guitar has it own pick-up. I've changed it back to mike just like what MartinS said and there still isn't a difference.

Regarding what TenderSurrender and Village Idiot menitoned, does this mean that unless I get that something to strengthen the signal, it will be useless for me to fiddle around with this? If so, then I guess I can't do anything with it now because I don't think I will be getting the input box. :)

Adaptor.jpg

Reaction score
If your guitar has a pickup, and a jack, it's an electro accoustic. You should be able to get some signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MartinS is correct, most typical electro acoustics have a built in preamp and so you should have a signal coming in.

What i recommend you do

Firstly:

Go to gargageband, go into the settings (audio/midi) and make sure that input is Line in NOT Microphone.

Then

Go to the main window in garageband and create a NEW "Basic track
Try recording with that.

If that doesnt work, keep the same settings but also venture into the control panel, and go to the sound panel and make sure the level is up high enough.

(All of this though is based on the theory your e'acoustic has a built in preamp)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has this helped you at all then alias09?

~~ TS ~~

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for the delay.

It still isn't working for me. I've checked that the volume is high enough and that the input is line-in.

I think the very first time I tried and when there was a signal, albeit a weak one, there was only a line in the recording. I'm getting a double line in the recording now.

I'm not sure if that's the problem.

I hope I'm making myself understood because I'm really new at this whole thing. But thanks for helping me out with this! :)

Recording.png

Reaction score
Perhaps the pickup in your guitar is faulty. Some of them need batteries. Could also be your cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.