MyBook doesn't want to be MyBook

Reaction score
I have quite the problem to share with you all and I hope you can help.

Today I purchased my new baby, a black macbook. I love it. Also, a 250GB WD MyBook (Firewire too so it must be the pro version, I don't feel like checking the box.)

The issue I am having is everything works fine - for about 2 seconds. If I turn on the HD and leave it unplugged from the computer, it will stay on for eternity. The second I plug it into the laptop, Firewire or USB, it does what it is supposed to do, shows up on the desktop etc etc, I can even see the autorun and mac folder on it, then the hard drive CLICK off. I cannot turn it back on until I unplug and replug the power cord from the back of it.

I'm completely lost as to what to do. I understand it needs formatting but I can't click to the partitioning menus without it shutting off. Please help I appreciate any reply. Thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My Opinion is you have a defective MyBook there. I have never had a FireWire External do that on a Mac or PC. Where did you purchase it? That does not sound good at all.

Oh forgot, Congrats on the Black MacBook. They look so nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I'll have to agree with dtravis, u might wanna take that puppy back and get a new one.

But on the other hand Congrats on the MacBook, isn't the Black ones so Elegant ;D

OP
X
Reaction score
It is by far the most gorgeous laptop I have ever laid my eyes on, and now hands. I'm so impressed with this machine, I have very high expectations but this surpasses them.

Oddly enough, I got the poor 250GB EHD at the Apple Store, at the same time as the Macbook. I think I should take her back down there, but - I have work so much it won't be for a little bit and I need this fixed ASAP. I am a professional photographer for 3 companies, one which I own 50% of, and this harddrive was meant for our main photo storing / backing up. This is slowing down work, and therefore profits.

I hate it when things don't work. I was just hoping this was a common problem or something. Thank you for the quick replys guys, I'm glad to be a part of the Apple world now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have had very good luck with Western Digital drives, both internal and External. I guess you got a bad one. Happens with any brand. Let us know what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mbp: core duo 2.16Ghz, 2gig ram, 100gig 7200 rpmm, 17"
Just return the thing, I'm sure you can find a hole in your busy schedule to take it back to the store, if else just give the receipt to a collegue and let him/her return it...

And congratz on the macbook, they are so incredibly sexy, I myself have a macbook pro, but I wished they had those in that sexy black color!!!

Grtz and honor,

Wesley

OP
X
Reaction score
I'll be bringing it back tomorrow morning on the way to the studio.

Bringing it back to a DIFFERENT Apple store shouldn't be an issue right?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll be bringing it back tomorrow morning on the way to the studio.

Bringing it back to a DIFFERENT Apple store shouldn't be an issue right?

I would not think it would be a problem but be sure you have your receipt!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Yeah the Apple store wouldn't have a problem where u bought it from, as long as u have a receipt and within the return period, which from ur Original Post I can assume u r.

Good Luck and if u don't mind and if ur time permits please update us. :Cool:

Cheers

OP
X
Reaction score
Definetly will, and I will have some shots to show you guys soon.

By the way, Aperture - AMAZING PROGRAM.

If you don't have it get it. The tools of photoshop with the simplicity of picasa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
Good, another happy apple costumer! :D
Gratz on the macbook, and yes, aperture is an Amazing program! :D <3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
A lot of the people posting reviews on tiger direct and newegg have been complaining about the WD mybooks being unreliable and having problems or just outright dying on them.

It's a shame because you can get a 500gb FW800 for fairly cheap, which is hard to do since there's not a lot out there with FW800 capabilities. I would expect better quality from WD as there record has been pretty good. It sounds more like a Maxtor product than WD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A lot of the people posting reviews on tiger direct and newegg have been complaining about the WD mybooks being unreliable and having problems or just outright dying on them.

It's a shame because you can get a 500gb FW800 for fairly cheap, which is hard to do since there's not a lot out there with FW800 capabilities. I would expect better quality from WD as there record has been pretty good. It sounds more like a Maxtor product than WD.

Thanks for the heads up on that VI. I will have to keep my eyes open. I have WD is not starting to go downhill. I have had great luck here but don't have any of their MyBook drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.