Problem using built-in speakers

Reaction score
my Macbook pro's acting funny. When I adjust the sound volume, the little gray volume display comes up with a "non applicable" sign on it (bar running diagonally through a circle). When I open up system preferences, the only option for sound output is "digital output", not speakers. Help?

Reaction score
bump

EDIT: just found the solution. Take a paper clip, and wiggle it around in the audio jack. There's a switch inside that needs to be gently pushed. After a couple of minutes wiggling it around I got the audio to work.

Good luck, frucyjuit, if you're still following this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
EDIT: just found the solution. Take a paper clip, and wiggle it around in the audio jack. There's a switch inside that needs to be gently pushed. After a couple of minutes wiggling it around I got the audio to work.

Good luck, frucyjuit, if you're still following this.

Well well, I was going nuts over this issue. I just replaced my iMac 17 with a new aluminum iMac 24 and moved the 17 to another room for my GF to use (her Winbox died) and couldn't get sound on it (circle with a bar). I'll try your paperclip trick, I had external speakers plugged-in the audio jack for 16 months, could be that this switch is stuck...

Cheers,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Samsa, I hope you read this:

Thanks for the tip! Saved me a lot of aggravation. Instead of using a paperclip, I used a mini jack headphone adapter which I inserted in and out of the plug a few times while jiggling it a bit. When I fired up the iMac and pressed on the volume key, PRESTO! everything was OK...

Thanks again,
Gene

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.