Thinking about getting a macbook - advice needed.

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I am considering purchasing a Macbook, and have a few questions. But first, a bit about me:

- I'm a university student.
- I've used Windows-based PCs for the last 14 years.
- I have some Linux experience (Ubuntu).
- I have never owned a Mac OS-based computer.
- I do lots of web design and development work.
- I do occasional desktop programming work.

I currently own a laptop (my main work machine) and a desktop, but the laptop is getting old and I want something more recent.

Now, the questions:

- Can someone who uses their Macbook for tasks similar to those I described above please explain their overall experience?
- Can anyone recommend any useful software for the above tasks? (Adobe CS3 is implied ;)) In particular, are there tools such as Dreamweaver for Mac OS? Will I be able to compile and run Java/C++ applications under Mac OS? (This one is not a huge biggie, since I have Windows desktop, but would be nice.)
- How is the battery life on new Macbooks?
- Is buying right now wise, or should I wait (painfully) until the end of summer? The reason I ask is because I read that Apple may announce new models soon, and the current models would drop in prices...
- Any other tips for a complete Mac newbie?

I need a portable and efficient laptop that will last at least 3-4 hours without a battery. I am very tired of Windows (thus my explorations with Ubuntu - which I generally like), and think Mac OS may be what I need.

Any help would be appreciated :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Hi everybody!

I am considering purchasing a Macbook, and have a few questions. But first, a bit about me:

- I'm a university student.
- I've used Windows-based PCs for the last 14 years.
- I have some Linux experience (Ubuntu).
- I have never owned a Mac OS-based computer.
- I do lots of web design and development work.
- I do occasional desktop programming work.

I currently own a laptop (my main work machine) and a desktop, but the laptop is getting old and I want something more recent.

Now, the questions:

- Can someone who uses their Macbook for tasks similar to those I described above please explain their overall experience?
- Can anyone recommend any useful software for the above tasks? (Adobe CS3 is implied ;)) In particular, are there tools such as Dreamweaver for Mac OS? Will I be able to compile and run Java/C++ applications under Mac OS? (This one is not a huge biggie, since I have Windows desktop, but would be nice.)
- How is the battery life on new Macbooks?
- Is buying right now wise, or should I wait (painfully) until the end of summer? The reason I ask is because I read that Apple may announce new models soon, and the current models would drop in prices...
- Any other tips for a complete Mac newbie?

I need a portable and efficient laptop that will last at least 3-4 hours without a battery. I am very tired of Windows (thus my explorations with Ubuntu - which I generally like), and think Mac OS may be what I need.

Any help would be appreciated :).

A Macbook is essentially a UNIX workstation with really good design and features. It comes with (not installed, but it's the first thing I install after some key apps on any new Mac) XCode development environment complete with gcc and a bunch of other compilers. I haven't used its IDE, but the command line stuff and 'make' for compiling Darwinports. If you're familiar with a Linux, you have a complete command line environment available to you with all the GNU tools you've come to know and love.

I think Adobe bought Dreamweaver and have their own web design tools which incorporate Dreamweaver in some way.

Usual answer to application question of Photoshop (I have CS1) which works quite well, MS Office 2004, the only problem being that they are not Universal binary, and Rosetta (the thing that translates PPC code to Intel) sometimes craps out on me and refuses to launch any of my PPC apps. There is very little Windows software that doesn't have an equivalent Mac application, with quite a number of things that a Mac can do or do better than that what you would find under Windows or Linux.

Credentials: I'm a 20+ year UNIX sysadmin and DBA who uses Linux whenever possible, Windows when I absolutely have to, and my Macbook for my own stuff (and work stuff with Windows on Parallels Desktop when I don't feel like hauling my clunky Dell around.) Two years ago I got a PPC Mac Mini in what I call the Great Mac Experiment of 2005. It has been a resounding success.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, walkerj!

Good to hear that there are Mac equivalents for most Windows apps :).

I have heard about the Rosetta problems you described. Thankfully Adobe CS3 has a Universal version... unless I'm very much mistaken.

Yes, Adobe bought Macromedia. I just googled for a bit, and it appears that there is a Dreamweaver (CS3) for Mac OS! Great!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.