Base Station AirDisk vs. Ethernet Hard Drive Superduper

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently bought the Airport Extreme Base Station and put a 500Gig Western Digital MyBook Premium on it. I'm considering getting the same setup but he is having some perfomance issues which concern me.
He uses this to store media files and to make backups using Chronosync of data files. Where he ran into a problem is he's trying to use SuperDuper to do a hard drive backup. It works fine if he uses a firewire Lacie drive connected directly to his computer but when he runs into a problem is when he uses Superduper to back up to this AirDisk. It will find the backup location but often during backup fails at some point. Also, if he uses Finder to copy files over it works fine for small files or just a few files but if he transfers a large amount of data at some point it fails. He hasn't had any network performance problems in the past and is using a C2D MBP. He has even run into problems when he tries to delete files off of this AirDisk.

1. I have a Airport Extreme Base Station and have wanted to get the same drive but now I'm wondering if I'm better off getting a Ethernet drive such as the Western Digital World Edition. I know it costs a little more but would performance be better than using a drive on the Airport Base Station?

2. Is it something my friend could be doing wrong with Superduper that is causing this problem?

3. I like how with his base station anytime he restarts his mac it simply automatically logs onto this Airport Base Station drive. It seems so integrated and easy to use. Would the same be true with using a Ethernet drive? I like the simplicity of it being there and doing a 'auto logon'. I have used networked drives before where you have to go to the network to find the drives but these were shared drives on Windows machines.

OP
R
Reaction score
I forgot to ask this but if I go with a Ethernet drive is there a better choice than the Western Digital Drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.