spotlight not working

Reaction score
As it says in the title, spotlight in my menu bar returns no results. I'm running OSX 10.4.9 and all is up to date on my machine, ( a 2.33 15" MBP) but when i type anything, even document names exactly as they are recorded, into the spotlight, nothing happens. Its frustrating as i had changed from windows and fell in love with spotlight searching as it used to nearly have the result i wanted before i had finished typing.

Incidentally if i open finder and type into the spotlight section on the finder window, it works exactly how i would expect it to. Can anyone help me with this?

Reaction score
Spotlight's index might have gone south. Try this. Onyx can make it rebuild its index, too.

Edit: Sorry, Pulse-8. You beat me to it, again.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for that....quitting SystemUIServer solved the problem...but will i have to do this every time i start my machine?

What does SystemUIServer do?

Sat

Reaction score
Spotlight repair

If Spotlight or Mail (full text search) refuses to return search results:

enable display of invisible files using TinkerTool
click on the icon of your hard drive that does not respond to Spotlight searches
Remove .metadata_never_index from the top level of the disk directory if present
Remove the .Spotlight-V100 folder from the top level of the disk directory
Copy an empty folder named .Spotlight-V100 to the top level of the disk directory
disable display of invisible files using TinkerTool
Restart

This will initiate indexing after and a new spotlight database will be created

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.