Questions from a potential mac owner

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I will be purchasing a laptop this summer for college and am considering getting a macbook pro through the school. I can also get Vista Ultimate for $15, so I would have both it and OS X through boot camp. I have a few questions about the viability of this plan:

I know Leopard isn't supposed to come out until October, after I need to have the computer. How difficult/expensive will it be to upgrade? Will I be eligible for some sort of discount because my computer will be so new? Also, since Leopard will have boot camp integrated, would it be prudent for me to wait until after getting Leopard to install Vista? Or will I be able to upgrade to the integrated boot camp from the beta without too many problems?

If I should hold off on Vista until October, can I install Windows Media Player on OS X? I need it for my MP3 player (not an iPod, believe it or not).

Is there anything else I should consider?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Unless you buy the computer within 30 days of the release of 10.5, you will not get a discount. The expected retail price of 10.5 is $129.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks. Hopefully I will at least be able to get an educational discount on Leopard.

And a little research shows that I need to use Windows for my mp3 player, plus I need at least WMP10. I will have to think how best to deal with this.

Any ideas on my other questions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Hey everyone. I will be purchasing a laptop this summer for college and am considering getting a macbook pro through the school. I can also get Vista Ultimate for $15, so I would have both it and OS X through boot camp. I have a few questions about the viability of this plan:

I know Leopard isn't supposed to come out until October, after I need to have the computer. How difficult/expensive will it be to upgrade? Will I be eligible for some sort of discount because my computer will be so new? Also, since Leopard will have boot camp integrated, would it be prudent for me to wait until after getting Leopard to install Vista? Or will I be able to upgrade to the integrated boot camp from the beta without too many problems?
If previous retail versions of Mac OS X are any indication, Leopard 10.5 will cost $129 retail. There will not be a discount unless you have purchased your new Mac within 30 days of release (as previously stated).

What BootCamp does is create TWO different partitions on your internal hard drive without erasing your Mac partition, as would normally be required to re-partition. If Apple follows common sense (and they usually do), Leopard's built-in Boot Camp utility will simply recognize and support your already-installed Windows Vista partition. As it stands now, Boot Camp is a SEPERATE beta application. Come time for Leopard, it will be integrated into the OS, not seperate as it is now.

If I should hold off on Vista until October, can I install Windows Media Player on OS X? I need it for my MP3 player (not an iPod, believe it or not).
You can install Windows Media Player for Mac, but you'd have to look at the features of that particular install to find compatability with 3rd party MP3 players. If my memory serves me correctly, as long as your MP3 files have their ID3 tags correctly edited, you do NOT need Windows Media Player to transfer your music to the player. You should be able to edit the MP3 file names/artists/albums/etc in iTunes, then drag all of the music files to the mounted drive name of your MP3 player on the desktop.

Is there anything else I should consider?
Something else to consider would be an EXTERNAL hard drive to store all of your media on. This way, whether booting into Mac OS X or Vista, both operating systems would be able to access your media (music, movies, photos, etc). Windows Media Player in Vista for your MP3 player if required, and iTunes for when you're listening at your desk and using OS X.

Welcome, and may your purchase bring you much joy!

P.S. If you have made it this far, their are rumors abound that with the recent "refresh" done to the entry level MacBook line, there will be a refresh to the MacBook Pro line of Macs come WWDC (World Wide Developer's Conference) which begins the 11th of June. Just an FYI that waiting another 2 weeks may be prudent to you getting the absolute newest you can for your hard earned money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
Tiger is a great operating system. It is still unknown whether the upgrade to Leopard will be worth it.

There should be other audio players that work with your MP3 player. Although, $15 for Vista you can't go wrong.

As said before, the MacBook line just got some minor upgrades to their speeds so the Pro line may well go the same route very soon. Going back to what I said about Tiger though. The MacBook Pro line and OS X are more than great already.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses!

get a different mp3 player and ditch vista
I might decide to get a new mp3 player, though my Sansa has worked out very well for me. I will definitely get Vista anyway, even if I only use it for gaming/other windows-only programs, because I can get it for only $15. I plan on keeping the same comp for the next 4 years at least, so I want maximum flexibility.

If Apple follows common sense (and they usually do), Leopard's built-in Boot Camp utility will simply recognize and support your already-installed Windows Vista partition. As it stands now, Boot Camp is a SEPERATE beta application. Come time for Leopard, it will be integrated into the OS, not seperate as it is now.
That's what I was hoping for. My past experiences with Microsoft have left me a bit wary of trusting that common sense will be followed!

You can install Windows Media Player for Mac, but you'd have to look at the features of that particular install to find compatability with 3rd party MP3 players. If my memory serves me correctly, as long as your MP3 files have their ID3 tags correctly edited, you do NOT need Windows Media Player to transfer your music to the player. You should be able to edit the MP3 file names/artists/albums/etc in iTunes, then drag all of the music files to the mounted drive name of your MP3 player on the desktop.

The Sansa website says that XP and WMP10+ are required. From what I've found, MS stopped making WMP for Mac after 9. I currently transfer music using the Sync function on WMP11, but I don't know if the analogous procedure is possible in iTunes. I know the sansa also supports the drag-and-drop method of file transfer, whose name I have forgotten, but I've never used it. I'll have to look into this a bit more.

Something else to consider would be an EXTERNAL hard drive to store all of your media on. This way, whether booting into Mac OS X or Vista, both operating systems would be able to access your media (music, movies, photos, etc). Windows Media Player in Vista for your MP3 player if required, and iTunes for when you're listening at your desk and using OS X.

This might be the best way to go. It would be good to have an external HD anyway. And Newegg lists a 500GB 7200RPM Seagate as cheaper than a new Nano. I assume I would have all the music as MP3?

Also, I've read about NTFS vs. FAT32 formatting for external hard drives and from what I remember, macs can write into FAT32 but not NTFS, but FAT32 is limited to 4GB. Is that correct? If so, what should I do? It's no use having an external HD if I can only put 4 GB of music on it.

If you have made it this far, their are rumors abound that with the recent "refresh" done to the entry level MacBook line, there will be a refresh to the MacBook Pro line of Macs come WWDC (World Wide Developer's Conference) which begins the 11th of June. Just an FYI that waiting another 2 weeks may be prudent to you getting the absolute newest you can for your hard earned money.
I'd heard about that. I was going to wait a couple of months anyway, since it seems you can always get something better for the same price if you wait. Plus, I need to see what the discounted models my school will negotiate this year.

One more question. I see that the 1.2 version of Boot Camp supports 32-bit Vista, any idea whether the final version will support the 64-bit version? I haven't decided which way I will go, but I at least prefer to have the option.

Thanks again for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Also, I've read about NTFS vs. FAT32 formatting for external hard drives and from what I remember, macs can write into FAT32 but not NTFS, but FAT32 is limited to 4GB. Is that correct? If so, what should I do? It's no use having an external HD if I can only put 4 GB of music on it.

wrong

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT32

Reaction score
"File size" is limited to 4gb, meaning a single file that is over 4gb. Has nothing to do with how much you can put on the drive. Ive got a 250gb external in Fat32 with 150gb of stuff on it.

OP
T
Reaction score
That's great to hear. I don't have any files approaching that size, so it likes like an external HD is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
how did you buy your laptop through your university? could you link me or something?

Reaction score
Just remember, Vista requires about 15gb of your HDD..

aren't the largest drives on the laptops about 160gb? It may seem like alot now, but it goes in a hurry with media such as movies and other audio & video. An external drive might be a must.

I'm probably going to get a copy of XP after Leopard comes out with the built-in Bootcamp. I understand XP only requires about 2gb and it does what I need it for which isn't much, believe me!

OP
T
Reaction score
how did you buy your laptop through your university? could you link me or something?
My college negotiates deals with Apple, Lenovo, and Dell for the various models they will purchase each year. Those companies get business directed towards them, and they in turn give us a discount. The discount applies to students and staff only, so I can't get you in on it. sorry.

I'm probably going to get a copy of XP after Leopard comes out with the built-in Bootcamp. I understand XP only requires about 2gb and it does what I need it for which isn't much, believe me!
I've also thought about getting XP (also at a very good price) instead of Vista. I'm thinking that I'd rather have Vista for long-term compatibility. I'm not too worried about all of the various bugs and crap that will be an inevitable part of the Vista experience because I will probably be on OS X for everything except what I specifically need Windows for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | Black | 2.16gHz | 2gb ram | 160 HDD
oh i see, what university do you go to?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.