macbook pro noob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.33 2gb 120hd 256vram | ipod
ok, so i purchased my very first mac, macbook pro 2.33 2gb 120 (grad gift to myself :). i've always been a hardcore pc user but now that i got out of college i decided it was time to give apple a try. so far, my experience with my mac has been a good one, but sometimes i have these mac moments that just make me go "hmmmmmm okay.... $2500 relax..." am i forever stuck with these annoyances or can they just leave me alone??

1. mac keeps asking me whether to keep my internet connection on or not. obviously i am using safari so yes i need the internet! go away??

2. sometimes i type and type and suddenly the cursor goes back to a previous line for some reason and it highlights it so i accidently erase it. i even checked to see if i was accidently touching the trackpad while typing alas no. this is by far the most annoying. it has happened to me 8 times within the first 2 minutes of writing this thread! it has found its way in word processing programs and safari. GO AWAY!

3. when i want to exit something using the exit "x" at the top left corner of the program, it minimizes it instead. so to close i find myself having to maximize it and then exit it again... pls go away.

4. i click on an icon in my dashboard, for instance itunes, and it just bounces happily. nothing happens. i click it again, oh now it opened!

5. is there a permanent way to enable private browsing in safari so that i don't have to keep enabling it?

-no uninstall? aww.

-empty trash vs. secure empty trash. this isn't really annoying.

if i can just get these five canned i will have the perfect machine!

thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
3. when i want to exit something using the exit "x" at the top left corner of the program, it minimizes it instead. so to close i find myself having to maximize it and then exit it again... pls go away.

The red X in Mac OS X does not EXIT a program, persay, it only closes that window. To exit a program, you need to click on the programs main menu on the bar, and click exit, or hit Command Q.

4. i click on an icon in my dashboard, for instance itunes, and it just bounces happily. nothing happens. i click it again, oh now it opened!
Check to make sure the program isn't already open (a black arrow will appear underneath the program's icon on the dock). Also, while the icon is bouncing, you need to give the OS time to spin up the hard drive, load the program into memory, and start it. I guess it's not so much of an annoyance to me (it's happened once or twice).

5. is there a permanent way to enable private browsing in safari so that i don't have to keep enabling it?
You could try looking up how to write an apple script to turn on private browsing upon login, but it is my understanding that turning on private browsing only activates for the current window.

-no uninstall? aww.
Don't need it, just drag the application icon to the trash, and empty trash. This will delete/uninstall the program. If this does not satisfy you, try an application called AppZapper. This little gem will find all .plist (preference) files and other misc. files associated with said application and delete them for you.

-empty trash vs. secure empty trash. this isn't really annoying.
Empty trash simply removes said files from the directory structure, but they could still be there for certain file recovery programs to find. Secure empty trash will write blank data over said file, making it fairly unrecoverable. Also, secure empty trash will also let you delete some files that are currently being used by an application (such as extensions), so it can be a good way to get rid of any troublesome files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.