DVD drive acting funny

Reaction score
Just got it for 2 days, and the drive has a hard time reading dics and now spits them out. wha tto do? I ordered it online and now it does not work right. can i take it to an apple store? or what? i bought apple care but it has not come back yet.

thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just got it for 2 days, and the drive has a hard time reading dics and now spits them out. wha tto do? I ordered it online and now it does not work right. can i take it to an apple store? or what? i bought apple care but it has not come back yet.

thanks

You're still under the normal warranty period, so there's no need to be concerned about the AppleCare extended warranty. Yes, you can take it to any Apple authorized repair center to have the problem diagnosed. It should be a fairly simple fix.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
:Oops: cwa types faster than I do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
what kind of cd's? bland cd/dvd's or regular music or movie disks.....sometimes discs released by sony will have a hard time playing because they are so copy protected that computers have a difficult time playing it

-chris

OP
I
Reaction score
what kind of cd's? bland cd/dvd's or regular music or movie disks.....sometimes discs released by sony will have a hard time playing because they are so copy protected that computers have a difficult time playing it

-chris

DVD's mainly it does not like to play right...and now its making funny noises and after i hit apple + e it would ot eject the disc. think they will be open on memmorial day?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
DVD's mainly it does not like to play right...and now its making funny noises and after i hit apple + e it would ot eject the disc. think they will be open on memmorial day?

Are they burnt DVDs or commercial DVDs? The reason I ask is because some DVD drives have a "preference" for one format over another - like DVD-R versus DVD+R.

Slot-loading CD/DVD drives do make quite a bit of noise because they are mechanically more complex than tray-loading drives. It shouldn't make a whole lot of noise once the disc has been mounted (other than vibration or the noise of the motor spinning the disc). Either way, if you are concerned, have the Apple store diagnose the problem.

Many businesses are open on Memorial Day because it's normally a big sale day, but I'm not sure about Apple. It might not be a bad idea to give them a call before you stop by.

OP
I
Reaction score
its a commerical dual layered dvd from a tv show im watching. How does apple know i have standard warrenty? they did not ship my applecare with my mac...so i guess they ship that seperately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
my MBP did the exact same thing for about 3 days. I was going to take it into Apple, and then it started working again perfectly. I will still take it in and get it looked at, just to be safe....If I had to guess, I would say that the disc doesn't seat properly sometimes, but that really is just an educated guess.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its a commerical dual layered dvd from a tv show im watching. How does apple know i have standard warrenty? they did not ship my applecare with my mac...so i guess they ship that seperately.

Every Mac comes with a 1 year warranty from date of purchase. They can tell when you purchased your machine based on your serial number.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
hey guys, i remember when i first used my MBP dvd drive I was asked something about the licensure code or some type of coding with the DVD I used, does anyone know what that would be??? Then it said something about having 4 or 5 more types to use???

--can not remember exactly

Reaction score
That referred to the regional code. I read somewhere that VLC ignores the mighty decision by not starting the countdown, so if that's true, never play a DVD through QuickTime.

OP
I
Reaction score
well, thanks for the imput guys. I went to the store today explained my issue after making an apointment, and they gave me a whole new unit. The thing i noticed aobut this new one is the dvd slides in a lot easier than my last one. The tech told me that the drives usdually never break and are built well...hmmmm

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, thanks for the imput guys. I went to the store today explained my issue after making an apointment, and they gave me a whole new unit. The thing i noticed aobut this new one is the dvd slides in a lot easier than my last one. The tech told me that the drives usdually never break and are built well...hmmmm

Glad to hear everything worked out - on Memorial Day, no less...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.