Remote Connections

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
If I install Linux on my home computer (Intel) is there any way I could connect to it remotely from OS X on my laptop (PPC) ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Of course. All you need is love. Er, all you need is VNC. You need a VNC server running on the computer you want to control and a VNC client on the computer you want to control it from. OS X comes with a built-in VNC client, so all you have to do is install a VNC server on your Linux machine. Be sure to forward the VNC port so that the connection will go through your router's firewall properly. Check out RealVNC to begin with:

http://www.realvnc.com/

You can read some more about VNC on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Ditto what kaidomac said. I've got a Dell laptop at the office running Slackware, with Windows running inside of VMWare. I connect remotely via VNC from my G4 mini (way faster than running Virtual PC locally as the mini is non-Intel).

I don't know about using Apple Remote Desktop as a VNC client (I had a lot of trouble with using it as a VNC server), so I use Chicken of the VNC

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what about the other way around. could i log into my laptop via linux on my PC? It would be cool to control mail and safari via linux every once in a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
what about the other way around. could i log into my laptop via linux on my PC? It would be cool to control mail and safari via linux every once in a while.

There are VNC server and client programs for pretty much every operating system under the sun, so sure!

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GREAT! i can't wait to set this stuff up. This is pretty exciting.

I guess I am geek....

Oh well.

Thanks all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.