When I was trying to connect Mac from my PC (Vista Home Premium),
Vista always refused my correct user name and passoword. The
problem is the "group policy" function is not available on Vista Home
Premium edition, so how can I adjust "LAN Manager authentication
levels" to get my PC and Mac connected?:Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP 2.33Ghz, 3GB RAM, FinalCutStudio2
I am also having this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Josh

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try typing at the RUN prompt secpol.msc. ??

If you can not get there in Home Premium, Microsoft dropped the ball. I had the same connection issues with RC2 Ultimate and changing one setting there fixed it.

Also read this thread VERY CAREFULLY. They suggest another way toward the bottom with a change to Samba in OSX which makes more sense.

What they are doing in vista is sending an NTLMv2 response only instead of sending both LM & NTLM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Also read this thread VERY CAREFULLY. They suggest another way toward the bottom with a change to Samba in OSX which makes more sense.

What they are doing in vista is sending an NTLMv2 response only instead of sending both LM & NTLM.
Do you have a link for this thread at all?

I am going to have Vista on one of my machines soon... (don't hate me people ;) ) so would be interested to know of any problems/sollutions so that I am ready to go when it gets here.

Dave

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have a link for this thread at all?

I am going to have Vista on one of my machines soon... (don't hate me people ;) ) so would be interested to know of any problems/sollutions so that I am ready to go when it gets here.

Dave

OPPS, Somehow I forgot to post the URL! Me bad! :D

Here is the one I found a while back.
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=354132

Here is another about Linux with the same info.
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
OPPS, Somehow I forgot to post the URL! Me bad! :D

Here is the one I found a while back.
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=354132

Here is another about Linux with the same info.
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html

Thanks for your links - Couldn't get either to work though - SMB.conf - changes made there seemed to have little affect - although I don't know maybe those changes did eventually help me resolve this.

I couldn't launch secpol.msc - doesn't appear to be with Home premium - or am I mistaken there?

Anyway - this fixed the problem for me:

In regedit:
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
In the right pane, right-click the "LmCompatibilityLevel" key and select "modify"
Change the value from 3 to 1

I now click on Start>Run and type \\NameOfMacBook and press ENTER this allows me to browse my MacBook just as I used to be able to do with Win XP.

Anyway, thought I'd share the tip. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your links - Couldn't get either to work though - SMB.conf - changes made there seemed to have little affect - although I don't know maybe those changes did eventually help me resolve this.

I couldn't launch secpol.msc - doesn't appear to be with Home premium - or am I mistaken there?

Anyway - this fixed the problem for me:

In regedit:
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
In the right pane, right-click the "LmCompatibilityLevel" key and select "modify"
Change the value from 3 to 1

I now click on Start>Run and type \\NameOfMacBook and press ENTER this allows me to browse my MacBook just as I used to be able to do with Win XP.

Anyway, thought I'd share the tip. ;)

Great job. Glad you did share this for people with lesser versions of Vista. I was guessing that maybe the security policy part may not be available in Home. Glad you found the back door in the registry.
Again thanks for sharing and great job!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.