New IMac ram issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" IMac 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo
So I recently purchased 2GB of ram to upgrade my new IMac. Problem is that when I try to install both 1GB sticks at the same time, the computer only recognizes 1 of them. Now, when I try each stick on it's own paired with the 512MB original ram, it works fine. Shows up as 1.5GB. Am I doing something wrong?

Brad

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
31 views and no one has had this same problem? Am I missing something?

Reaction score
All I can add is ensure you seat the modules snugly. Don't rely on the tabs that you push/pull to insert/eject the modules to do the job .... give the modules a bit of a push when the tabs are closed just to make sure they are both nice and cozy.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well last resort is trying to contact Apple. If I can't figure out how to get it working, I am going to just return my Apple and stick with Dell :(

M

MacHeadCase

A question: did you try both RAM sticks with the factory installed one?

This is just to rule out that one of the modules is bad. :)

If both work, it might be a bad RAM slot.

If a bad RAM module or RAM slot is making you go back to Dell, guess the Mac never had a real chance, hunh?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried each of the new ram sticks paired with 1 each of the old, and they all seemed to work just fine. It's when I try and pair the 2 1GB sticks together, that the Mac just reads as 1GB. The others read as 1.5GB

Why would I own a computer that I can't upgrade? My Dell has never had problems with Ram. Just pop it in and go. I can't return the ram now nor can I return my Apple, since both are outside of the 14day window, so I guess I will live with 1.5GB of ram

M

MacHeadCase

Well GK they do sell RAM upgrade kits for your iMac so why wouldn't it work? Where did you buy your RAM from?

Here are examples:

OWC

RAMJET

Mac RAM Direct

So if they sell them it works. Must be something either with the type of RAM module you got or there is something wrong with the RAM slot.

And it is a well known fact that iMacs are not the most upgradable: outside of adding more RAM and maybe for not the faint of heart changing the internal HD, there isn't much to upgrade in there: who advised you on this purchase if you were looking for expandability?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't necessarily say anyone advised me about whole upgrades, but my brother is in college and has been using an IMac for a few years. He suggested I cross over. He told me RAM was easy to install, which it is. I'm just confused. The sticks each work on their own, in each slot and they also work when paired with 1X512MB stick that originally came with it. Maybe I am doing something wrong

I ordered it from Newegg

M

MacHeadCase

Ok. And it specifically says it is for your iMac model? I would phone them first, they should exchange them and you could try the replacements in, after having made sure it is the right kind. If these don't work, try giving Apple a call.

But I would rule out the RAM modules first.

Care to give the link to what you got as RAM modules? That way we could try to compare the specs from what NewEgg sold you and what the other places offer. Myself I trust OWC: I have done business with them and they are great people.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. And it specifically says it is for your iMac model? I would phone them first, they should exchange them and you could try the replacements in, after having made sure it is the right kind. If these don't work, try giving Apple a call.

But I would rule out the RAM modules first.

Care to give the link to what you got as RAM modules? That way we could try to compare the specs from what NewEgg sold you and what the other places offer. Myself I trust OWC: I have done business with them and they are great people.

Sorry, I thought it was Newegg, but that was my USB hub. The Ram was ordered from ZipZoomFly.com The specs are listed below. They were not specific to my IMac, but I went to corsair.com and the ram they listed was the same specs as the ones I bought. Maybe I am missing something when it comes to pairing them together or something?

2 x (90054) Corsair VS1GSDS667D2 1GB DDR2-667 PC2-5300 Value Select
SO-DIMM Memory Retail

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm. I dunno Corsair is said to be a good brand.

Can you give the dealer a call tomorrow and see with them what is up? I can't believe they would sell a kit that doesn't work for all Intel Core 2 Duo owners. Maybe they'll walk you through some kind of troubleshooting procedure so you can rule out the RAM not being compatible?

Maybe other members have better ideas on this than I?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" IMAC ALU, 2.8GHZ, 4GB ram, 750gb HD, Leopard OSX.
Hi,

This happened to me.

After fiddling around and phoning the tech support of the ram supplier who could not help I tried every conceivable combo of my new and original ram modules. Old ones worked but only one new one did. Thought I had a faulty module but....

Eventually it was simple.

The top ram module (nearest the screen) was not quite seated properly but it was very hard to see.

Try swopping them around and be a bit less gentle. Give it a good hard shove. We are all a bit worried that our beloved Imacs are going to break but they are tougher than we think and need that extra shove.

I know women like that!

(Whoops,... is that allowed?)

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.