WACOM, WAxOFF!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I've been looking around and I'm sooooo tempted just to go out and buy a Wacom 4x5 tablet for $80, until I can afford to purchase the big boy, then Intuos3 12x12

Unfortunately, I think it would suck using such a small space.

Any one else use tablets? I've reeeeally started using Illustrator lately and I think if would be a great advantage there, as well as in photo shop....

Man, I just need to when the lottery, now my list includes

30" monitor
WACOM tablet
Expensive Canon lens
Expensive Canon flash...

Oh well...I'll get there one day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
I just bought a Wacom Graphire4 two days ago and I love it! I really didn't have the cash to go any bigger but after a few hours of messing around with it I find 4x5 very sufficient when working with less-to-semi-detailed artwork.

I think it really depends on what your using it for and what your preferences are because I would never ever need a 12x12 tablet, nor do i have the desk space for it ;)

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I just bought a Wacom Graphire4 two days ago and I love it! I really didn't have the cash to go any bigger but after a few hours of messing around with it I find 4x5 very sufficient when working with less-to-semi-detailed artwork.

I think it really depends on what your using it for and what your preferences are because I would never ever need a 12x12 tablet, nor do i have the desk space for it ;)

Speaking of which, I'm going to need a new desk too :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I've had my 4x5 wacom for around5 years now, and it still serves me well. I use it almost all day at work for all kinds of photoshop, illustrator and indesign work. Sure, I think having a larger one would be fantastic, but I've been able to produce some pretty detailed work with it - digital paintings, massive (and I mean massive - 12000 pixels wide) panorama photos, vector illustrations, and my wacom has worked fine for all of them. I can easily select any anchor points I need in illustrator, so the small size isn't a drawback at all for that. In fact, I haven't really regretted the size of the tablet in any way. Mind you, I haven't used any larger dimensions yet...

I think one or two sizes larger would be ideal for me, but for fast design work, my 4x5 is all I need. It just comes down to your needs and the kind of work you produce, and of course, your budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I have used both and there are more than just size differences, the intuos is much more sensitive than the graphire.

The intuos I have was purchased refurbished saving me about 150.00

OP
Village Idiot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have used both and there are more than just size differences, the intuos is much more sensitive than the graphire.

The intuos I have was purchased refurbished saving me about 150.00

Where do you get refurbs at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I picked mine up at www.academicsuperstore.com, would not have known it was a refurb except for the price difference.

They seem to get them in in groups and offer them for a short period till they are out. You can get on an email listing which is the easiest way to find out when they are available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.