• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Education disscount

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well sometimes they have a unique school store but other than that they don't
They will submit your name to the school to find out if you are enrolled. I know people who have had the credit cards charged the difference between the standard and education discount a few months later for not being eligible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
They will submit your name to the school to find out if you are enrolled. I know people who have had the credit cards charged the difference between the standard and education discount a few months later for not being eligible
I have seen the same thing happen to others. They do check and you very well might get charged the full price if you are not an enrolled student.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What happens if you pay with cash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
In person you need to give them student ID or SS number so they can look you up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I know, I showed them my ID. But my question is, since they charge you later if they find out you don't go to the school, what happens if you pay with cash? Do they contact you about it or do they drop it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That is a moot point. If you made a cash purchase, you would have first had to show/prove that you had a valid student ID, thus proving that you were a student capable of getting the discount. If you later dropped or stopped going to the school then it wouldn't matter. At the time of the purchase you were a valid student.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Sounds like you're asking about info that may be against forum rules.

Reaction score
I think this is just for the Higher Education discount but they validated my status as a student due to me accessing the online store through my university network. They must go on the IP address in cases like that I guess.

Reaction score
I think this is just for the Higher Education discount but they validated my status as a student due to me accessing the online store through my university network. They must go on the IP address in cases like that I guess.

Just noticed, says it on the website, forgot about that :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I didn't know they actually checked it. I just told them I was a teacher (which I am) and I assumed they trusted me.

The Auburn University bookstore sells Macs to everyone at the student discount...even if you're not a student.

Also, my sister ordered a mac and told the person taking the order that I was a teacher. She was wondering if I could call in the order to get the discount. The apple guy said that it was ok and he'd give her the discount anyway (without me calling in).

This was a few years ago...so their policy could have changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
As far as I know, there are 3 ways Apple does the discount: (aside from being on-campus and purchasing)

1. You show up to an Apple store with your student ID
2. You purchase online via your school. Your school has an online login system setup for your student ID.
3. You purchase online via your school. Your school does not have an online login system setup for your student ID. No verification is required, but you still get a discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
if you are trying to scam the system it wont work, you will get charged for it. even paying cash dont they take some of your personal informatin such as name and address??? at that rate they will send you a bill via mail
-chris

Reaction score
I asked the question over the phone (Australian phone store) as I was ordering our new MacBook on behalf of my husband who is currently studying. All they required was a student ID & the actual order had to be in his name. The guy said they do a random audit every month of student orders and if you get caught then they process the difference to your credit card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
Yea, so question. So I'm ordering my MBP online. I'm putting in my sisters Student ID number and school. The money is comming out of my parents visa, because I'm transfering my money to their visa cuz i don't have one. Will that work?

Does the visa and Student ID have to match? or are they just cofirming that there is a student with that ID number who goes to that school?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Yea, so question. So I'm ordering my MBP online. I'm putting in my sisters Student ID number and school. The money is comming out of my parents visa, because I'm transfering my money to their visa cuz i don't have one. Will that work?

Does the visa and Student ID have to match? or are they just cofirming that there is a student with that ID number who goes to that school?

I think that's the kind of question you should be asking Apple...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
K i set up an account as my sister, so incase they check the name of the order-ee. And yes it says, "*Students may include, parents transacting on behalf of qualifying students." So if i oder it as my sister online it'll be fine, i hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
K i set up an account as my sister, so incase they check the name of the order-ee. And yes it says, "*Students may include, parents transacting on behalf of qualifying students." So if i oder it as my sister online it'll be fine, i hope.

people trying to scam the system is going to lead to the cancellation of the program by apple one day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
people trying to scam the system is going to lead to the cancellation of the program by apple one day

Not really... even with people scamming it's the best form of marketing they've got... and they've got a helluvalotta good marketing mixes. For now, they need the market share gained more than the revenue lost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.