Monitors vs Video cards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 4.1
In preparation for the purchase of a new Mac Pro this June, I have been buying items such as hard drives, memory and a new Monitor.

I presently have a Beige G3 with an ATI Radeon Mac Edition card, and a VewSonic VG910 monitor. (Great monitor by-the-way, bought in 2003 and still does not have a single dead pixel.)

I purchased a new ViewSonic VX2235wm, and hooked it up to my Beige G3 for a quick operations check before putting it away in the closet until June. There was only ONE resolution (with 1/4 inch icons, that I needed a microscope to see them with) which did not introduce either mondo stretching in the horizontal dimension, or horrible flicker. Photographs were the worse, the image was so stretched that they were UGLY. I loaded the latest drivers for System 9.xxx but that made no difference.

Will I get different results with the new Mac Pro and 1900XT card, or will I have to buy an apple monitor to get rid of the display distortion??

Thanks,
Bill (theOrca)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Anytime you connect a new monitor to any system, whether windows or OS X you will need to set the resolution for the monitor.

Do not know system 9 - but you should either have a system preferences - displays or ATI's display settings.

You should set the resolution at 1280 x 1024 for the VG910.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Lcds can be odd creatures.

You are really pretty much stuck with one resolution on an LCD monitor, referred to as it's 'native' resolution.

Basically what it means is that if your monitor has 1280 x 1024 pixels, if you set any other resolution it has to kind of 'smudge' the picture to make it fit.

For sure you'll get other options with the new hardware, but you won't necessarily get a better picture if you choose them.

Just FYI, I'm running 17" Samsung LCDs at 1280 x 1024 on an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, and it looks great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.