How hard is it to upgrade hard drive in C2D MBP?

Reaction score
I purchased a MacBook Pro Core2Duo last fall. I often max out my hard drive in systems and would have gone with 200 gigs but because of the lower speed chose 160 gigs. Well I'm down to only 25 gigs free already. I bought a external Lacie firewire drive which is 160 gigs. That solves my problem but I move my computer all around the house and also take it with me on business trips and the hard drive is just a extra item to carry. I've thought of offloading some rarely used software to it. But today I read how both Fujitsu and Western Digital have 250 gig hard drives coming out now that are mac compatible and 5400 rpm so it's so tempting!
My question, how hard it is to upgrade them? I've heard it isn't supposed to be done by a user but can be done. Will it void my warranty? I can't go without my laptop for long but if I went to a Apple store could they do it while I wait? Will they have these hard drive options available or can I take one of these drives in? I figured they have their own hard drives at a premium price.

Reaction score
It's not that difficult and there are guides out there. If you feel brave, have a steady hand and are patient. Easily done. Took me less then an hour to open up my 17" and replace the hard drive. First time I did my 15" took me an hour just to open it up. Yes it does invalidate your warrenty. However if its been in for repair then the security measures will be broken anyway. so go nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
what security measures?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
The mythical ones :Confused:

oh the "keebler elve" install measures? :)

ive heard mixed things about "security measures " being inside. with the expcetion of the ribbon cable on top of the HD, i see no such thing.

unless they are sooo secure they are invisible!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.