• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Disc image

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
Hey everyone - I'm quite new to copying DVD's, and I'm hoping for some input. I'd like to make copies of several of my DVD's, and I know I can rip them with Handbrake, etc. My question is this though... So far as I can see, Handbrake can only rip a DVD as one large file, so if I wanted to replicate the menu operation of the original DVD, I'd have to import that big file into iMovie, and basically construct the opening title, chapter buttons, and chapter breaks from scratch. Is there any way to just rip a DVD so it's a disc image, and burn it directly onto a DVD so it operates right out of the burner just as if it were a new DVD movie straight from the store? I've seen people with bootlegged copies of movies that look/operate just as an original disc would, so I know it's possible. Any ideas? By the way, I'm not looking to bootleg anything. I just want to have some copies of my own DVD's at both of my residences and have a way to keep from having to buy them over again after my kids scratch them.

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that you would need a double-layer burner and 8GB dvd discs if you want to preserve all of it. Most modern DVDs are huge... So it's handy to strip the dvd of anything you don't really want.

But if your just going to store copies on your Mac, that shouldn't be a problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.