Intel-based iMac OS X Tiger Compatibility

Reaction score
Anyone know which Macs (G4, G5, etc.) are compatible with the OS X Tiger (10.4.7) that was included with my Intel-based iMac? I have an old G4 lying around and was thinking about installing OS X on it but I do not know enough about Macs to figure out if it's compatible.

Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
most likely not, additionally, your license only allows you to install the os on one machine.

welcome to the forums!

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt reply. Is the code really that different from the non-Intel version? And has anyone at least "tried" this?

Reaction score
Those Restore Disc/s are Model Specific. Only Full Retail Install Discs can be used like you mention

Reaction score
The discs that come with the machine can only be used with that model, as pulse said.

You need to buy the full retail version, which has the universal binary, meaning it will run on any capable Mac. You may install it once by the license, but Apple hasn't built in any blockade to restrict you (yet).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.