SSH Tunneling

Reaction score
I may be a little paranoid but I would like to know if creating a ssh tunnel is a good idea to access my email, and other things while on Wi-Fi. I use Gmail but I am not sure if it is ssl, it only says it is during log-in then it is unsecure. Any one have ever tried this?

Reaction score
I think you mean SSL, Secure Socket Layer. SSH is Secure SHell, much like a secure telnet. You can use SSL to access your email, and yes. That would be a good idea. I wish more people would do it. Fact of the matter is your emails, if standard POP3, password is sent in the clear. Anyone sniffing your network would see this and could use the information to access your account. Is that a big deal to you? For me it is...

-Jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Although SSH stands for Secure SHell, it actually does a whole lot more. Setting up a command alias in your .bash_profile for opening a tunnel to your email server would be good if you have SSH access to it for use with public networks. I use one at work all the time.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks that's the thing I don't know if Gmail uses POP3, I don't use any deksktop email, only webmail. I am also wondering what would be the best way to create a tunnel through ssh? Any hints?

Reaction score
Thanks that's the thing I don't know if Gmail uses POP3, I don't use any deksktop email, only webmail. I am also wondering what would be the best way to create a tunnel through ssh? Any hints?

Gmail is secured with HTTPS and is more like IMAP/WebMail. Still authentication is like that of SSL, but doesn't require a token exchange. Vice the transaction is handled via user encrypted authentication. I've heard sometimes the login via HTTPS (443 - secure) to gmail, but then gmail sometimes revert back to HTTP (80 - unsecured). This can be fixed, and I suggest doing a google search if interested.

-Jay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.