Encrpyting an External HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I want to Encrypt the contents of my external HD, is there any freeware program which can do this for me

I do not want to create a Encrypted disk image using disk utility because I want to be able to access the files on the HD on windows based machine.

any suggestions to freeware utilities for mac which can Encrypt external HD's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I've never had the guts. I have trashed several thumb drives with crappy 'protection' software, I can't imagine doing the same to 500gb of external stuff.

OP
shahvikram123
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I've never had the guts. I have trashed several thumb drives with crappy 'protection' software, I can't imagine doing the same to 500gb of external stuff.

Never had the guts?? I don't understand....can something happen to your Hard drive if you encrypt it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Never had the guts?? I don't understand....can something happen to your Hard drive if you encrypt it

Yeah - it gets encrypted.

If you forget the password, or as happened with a 4gb thumbdrive I bought last month - the password isn't recognised, you'll lose it all.

I use the same password for just about everything, it's not like I was getting it wrong, but the 'security' app gave me 3 tries then formatted the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.