New to Mac: what to get 12.1" or 14.1" iBook?

F

Fikr

Hi, guys! I am considering switching from PC to Mac because I am sick of my PCs crashing all the time and because I have been always in love with the Apple, but never had a chance to own it before due to the high price. I am looking at getting myself a G4 iBook, but cannot decide which one of iBooks with following configurations to choose:

Processor: 1GHz PowerPC G4
Level 2 Cache:512K at 1GHz
System bus:133MHz
Memory DDR SDRAM) 256MB PC2100 (266MHz);
Hard drive:30GB Ultra ATA
Optical drive: Slot-loading Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Display:12.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA
Graphics support:ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM

I would also get an extra 256MB Ram for this one as the iBook would cost NZ$2,149 to me.

OR

Processor:1GHz PowerPC G4
Level 2 Cache:512K at 1GHz
System bus:133MHz
Memory DDR SDRAM) 256MB PC2100 (266MHz);
Hard drive:40GB Ultra ATA
Optical drive: Slot-loading Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Display:14.1-inch (diagonal) TFT XGA
Graphics support:ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 with 32MB of DDR SDRAM

If I buy this one, I could not afford buying an extra 256MB Ram as the iBook would cost NZ$2,579.

The only differences between the two iBooks I noticed are: NZ$430 more for the iBook with the bigger screen - 14.1", and 10GB bigger HDD; the iBook would also be heavier.

I am going to use my iBook mainly for word, spreadsheet, presentation processing, possibly through MS Office, web browsing, e-mail, music and DVD. I am not going to use it for multimedia or development stuff.

So my questions are:
1) is 256MB ram sufficient for my needs, or it's worth installing the extra 256MB?
2) I like the 12.1" iBook because it's small and light, but does its size compliments the convenience of having a bigger 14.1" screen for word processing etc?
3) 14.1" users, how convenient and durable your 14.1" iBook is?
3) After reading the postings, it looks like most of the postings are about 12.1" iBooks, excitement or problems that the users have etc., and almost nothing about 14.1" iBook. Does it mean that the 14.1" iBook is much better and there is no problem with it, or it is so unpopular that no one even buys it and therefore has no problems with it?
4) Do I really need to buy MS Office and antivirus software? Where to get a VPC? I noticed it comes in the MS Office Pro package, but the price is high.
5) Some users say that 14.1" iBook is faster. Why is it faster if the specifications related to speed, e.g. clock speed, ram etc. are the same?
5) What would you look at, in addition to the above, when choosing an Apple iBook?

Please advise. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
For the needs you posted 256 will be ok, but you will be happier with more. As to the size difference, that's all about your choice. I prefer the compactness of the 12s myself and make a point of trying them out often to make sure. You don't need M$ anything -office only if you want it- and certainly not M$ antivirus VPC will not run well on 256 meg. As long as the specs are the same, the 14 shouldn't be any faster, if anything the screen rendering might be a tick slower due to size, but I doubt you could see that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Fikr said:
1) is 256MB ram sufficient for my needs, or it's worth installing the extra 256MB?
2) I like the 12.1" iBook because it's small and light, but does its size compliments the convenience of having a bigger 14.1" screen for word processing etc?
3) 14.1" users, how convenient and durable your 14.1" iBook is?
3) After reading the postings, it looks like most of the postings are about 12.1" iBooks, excitement or problems that the users have etc., and almost nothing about 14.1" iBook. Does it mean that the 14.1" iBook is much better and there is no problem with it, or it is so unpopular that no one even buys it and therefore has no problems with it?
4) Do I really need to buy MS Office and antivirus software? Where to get a VPC? I noticed it comes in the MS Office Pro package, but the price is high.
5) Some users say that 14.1" iBook is faster. Why is it faster if the specifications related to speed, e.g. clock speed, ram etc. are the same?
5) What would you look at, in addition to the above, when choosing an Apple iBook?

Please advise. Thanks.
1. For basic programs 256 should be fine for you although there is a major improvement when you get up to 512
2. If you like the 12.1 inches you should be fine and since you said you will not be doing any serious multimedia work it sounds find for you
3. The 12.1 and 14" are both very popular and it seems to be just chance that you seem more posts about one than the other.
4. All iBooks come with AppleWorks 6 preinstalled....This can read and write word documents and is apples version of Office.....You do not need to get an antivirus
5. The 14.1 used to be faster processor but now they are the same
6. Well your needs seem to be very basic so either of those setups should suit you well but since money is an issue 400 less for the 12" with 2x as much ram would be my choice in your shoes

OP
J

Joeytpg

Well, like the other guys said, it's a matter of personal choice more than anything......

in MY opinion i preffer the bigger screen
it's better for DVD and videos, word processing and stuff,

i noticed that you have a mistake in your price, it's not $2,579 & $2,149, it's ONE thousand! (1,000) hehehe those are the Powerbook prices

in MY own case, i'm gettin the 1.2 ghz 14" ibook with Superdrive, you gotta like Superdrive, you know how cool it must be to burn your own DVD's, go to blackbuster video and rent your fav. movie, and burn it??....that's great! :D you won't have to spend a dime on any movie in you want to see it again! :)
plus i'll be using airport card while i'm in the university's library, and with the airport c. i'll be able to go online...... :D

i wanted the 15" powebook, but it's too pricey.

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

I say you max out your hard drive. Technically, you're eventually gonna use it all up. And Joeytpg, I think he is talking about New Zealand dollars.

Anyway, I say you get the 12.1 inch with 512 MB RAM and 60 GB HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Joeytpg said:
i noticed that you have a mistake in your price, it's not $2,579 & $2,149, it's ONE thousand! (1,000) hehehe those are the Powerbook prices
Hes in New Zealand so he got the right prices

OP
F

Fikr

Thanks, guys! Yep, the prices are in New Zealand $. I decided to go for 14.1" iBook but with 60GB HDD and an extra 256MB Ram. Got my paycheck :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.