Best Email Client?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
What do you guys find is the best email client to use with Mac Mail... and just in general? Of the free ones I assume gmail... anything else worth lookin at? I don't mind paying less than $50/year for something else if it's better. Yahoo mail plus is $20/yr or $35/yr with your own domain name which I think would be pretty cool to have. How would that compare to gmail?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Reaction score
If you like Outlook, you could try Mozilla Firebird (the email counterpart for Firefox, which I also love way better than Safari)

OP
flilow06
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
If you like Outlook, you could try Mozilla Firebird (the email counterpart for Firefox, which I also love way better than Safari)

It's actually Thunderbird... not Firebird.

It is a pretty cool program though I plan on using Mac Mail so what I meant was what email account program?

Reaction score
Go with the one that tracks your every move, correlates cookies with web bugs, data-mines you back to nursersy school and keeps it all for only 2,000 years instead of 3,000 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I use GMail and have no issues with it. Theres enough storage space that I can download the e-mails in Mail.app and leave the e-mails on the server so I can access them using gmail.com wherever I am

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Go with the one that tracks your every move, correlates cookies with web bugs, data-mines you back to nursersy school and keeps it all for only 2,000 years instead of 3,000 years.

Is that a hit at Google Mail?

Anyway I find it hard myself to know which company to go with that enables POP3 Forwarding so you can download the Mail to an App like Thunderbird or OSX Mail.

I'd aviod going with your ISP anyway, as if you are anything like me it's just a pain in the *** when you switch ISP's.

So if you like Data being Stored and Advertising go with GMail otherwise hit up Mac Mail..

Sorry I couldn't help you with more than that. :'(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use what comes with my ISP which is Yahoo for the normal mail but use google mail for the rest.

Reaction score
Is that a hit at Google Mail?
Not especially. They're all the same. Google, at least, didn't kowtow to the U.S. government when it demanded all those names.

But the fact that using them means voluntarily handing over your life to some faceless corporate entity with its tentacles everywhere on Earth and that tracks your every move, or tries to . . . well, obviously not many care. But I keep it in mind when replying to emails, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you have a domain name and a rent a server, you can administer your own mail. You setup the accounts, passwords, limits, filters and so on. Really very liberating once you get it figured out. The best part it it is ISP independent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
I've got loads of email addresses - for business and personal use.

For personal/family use I got the domain www.maccoll.eu - got my own dedicated server anyway - so use alex [at] maccoll [dot] eu

Well my name is Alex MacColl so yknow...

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
GMail gets spammed pretty bad IMHO.

I just use the Mail that came on the computer through Comcast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
If you have a domain name and a rent a server, you can administer your own mail. You setup the accounts, passwords, limits, filters and so on. Really very liberating once you get it figured out. The best part it it is ISP independent.

Yeah, that. I have a website with Earthlink (from back when they were Netcom, then Mindspring) and administer my own mail accounts for myself, my wife, and my brother in law. My ISP is Verizon and I just use Mail.app to handle multiple mailboxes.

Gmail I use for another purpose for which I don't necessarily want cluttering up locally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
GMail gets spammed pretty bad IMHO.

I just use the Mail that came on the computer through Comcast.
Gmail also has incredible spam software built in that has caught almost every piece of spam that comes through

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
**Chime** Yes GMail is awesome. I've been using it since the first beta, and I am extremely happy with it...heck all of their services are great. At my last job, I created reporting forms for my teams through their Google Spreadsheets...so I could monitor results instantly anywhere in the world, and nobody had to fax or mail anything in to me or deal with not having excel, etc. Quite fun. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I'm a Gmail fan, and since the first time I've used it, I've never looked back to pop3 and ISP accounts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
**Chime** Yes GMail is awesome. I've been using it since the first beta, and I am extremely happy with it...heck all of their services are great. At my last job, I created reporting forms for my teams through their Google Spreadsheets...so I could monitor results instantly anywhere in the world, and nobody had to fax or mail anything in to me or deal with not having excel, etc. Quite fun. :)

A little off-topic, but Google recently started a FREE 411 service (1800-411-GOOG, if i recall).

OP
flilow06
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
A little off-topic, but Google recently started a FREE 411 service (1800-411-GOOG, if i recall).

Thanks for all the input guys.

I haven't used google's 411 yet. I have used 1-800-free-411, you spend about two minutes listening to ads...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.