How to install software under Mac OS X?

Reaction score
Dear all Macer,

I am windows user, and bought a new MacBook, but I don't know how to install the downloaded software ...

And I hear Mac have three type of file format and three type of install way ...

And one can give me a reference or example?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
the download menu should ask you when the download is complete if you want to continue with the download, and if so then click continue.. once that completes a dmg. file should appear that you can double click open or rather will open on its own and a small illustration should appear showing you to basically drag the icon of the downloaded software in the applications menu or some other menu, but the illustration usually shows you where to drag it. Or you can simply drag it to where you want to install it, and voila mac is that simple...

-yes mac it great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Many programs dont have an install process.

They will normally be in a .zip or .dmg file.

You double click the file you downloaded, and it will open a folder. You will see the files in the folder.

If there is a file with a .pkg at the end, double click it to install. If there s just the program, you can drag it to your desktop or applications folder.

Mac does not have a registry like Windows. The programs usually have everything they need to run contained inside one file.

Reaction score
This pic shows what to do if the file is a .dmg, or disk image. This is a Firefox download, but all .dmg files are the same.

Some, though, might include, next to the application icon, an alias, or shortcut, to your Applications folder. If this is the case, you can drag the app icon to the alias, and the app will install properly.

The other method uses an installer. If the icon looks like an open cardboard box, it's an installer, and you'd double-click the icon to start it.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank all kindly help

But how about the BootCamp?? I want to install it on my Mac to install XP ..

Anyone can make a screen capture for a example how to install BootCamp?

Thx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.