Printing from Illustrator problems

Reaction score
Hello all, I've spent ages creating a CD cover on Illustrator CS on my Powerbook G4 and it just won't print to my Epson RX-620 printer. I've found that to output as a PDF works for some people, but when I try it it just comes out as a blank document. I can't copy the elements to Photoshop as it says the clipboard cannot be imported, and when I try to open the .ai file in Photoshop it comes out blank.

Just upgraded at last from OS 10.2.7 to 10.4.9 and I thought it would cure all my problems!

Please help, I have to get this demo off to the agent today :'(

Reaction score
Try saving the .ai file has a high quality jpg in Illustrator. Then open the the jpg file in Photoshop and see if that works.

I believe the only was to open a .AI file in Photoshop is to "place" it into a new document. I am not 100% sure about that though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If eric06 suggection doesn't work…I've seen a bad font do the same thing. I've also identified a print problem by removing objects (a group at a time) to see if an object is causing the problem. Another thing to try is to copy the entire page and paste it into a new .ai document.

Reaction score
If eric06 suggection doesn't work…I've seen a bad font do the same thing. I've also identified a print problem by removing objects (a group at a time) to see if an object is causing the problem. Another thing to try is to copy the entire page and paste it into a new .ai document.

Along with immdb's reply, try creating outlines for the whole document (mainly text) but don't save it as the original AI file since you will lose all editing options.

OP
M
Reaction score
Printing from Illustrator - still no luck

Thanks for your help and replies. I tried them all and none work! Then I made an illustrator file with just a text box and ariel text, and that didn't print. I then tried just placing a picture, and that didn't print either.

Starting to wonder what the whole point of Illustrator is if I can't print from it!

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, mormess.

Have you made sure all your shapes are closed?

If you could post a screengrab, it would help us understand what you are trying to print. I suggest shapes if you have used the pen tool...

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi MacHeadCase

I just placed some jpeg pics and some text in the document. Some of the jpegs are skewed and overlapping the edge of the document, but as i said even when I made very simple documents it still didn't print.

Thanks for your suggestion. It seems now to be happening with all Adobe applications. I recently upgraded to Tiger from whatever 10.2 was called so I'm wondering if this could have something to do with it.

I ended up recreating the CD Cover in Publisher on a Windows PC and had no trouble at all!

Ah well, back to the drawing board, literally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Something's gone wrong with the whole suite by the sounds of it. You need to uninstall and reinstall Creative Suite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.