Upgrading a G3 with new parts

Reaction score
I have an iBook G3 and I want to upgrade the parts in it.

What I want to replace with the original parts is:
-Intel Core 2 Duo Proccessor
-2GB of RAM
-at least 80 GB of Hard Drive
-SuperDrive DVD Burner

If someone could point out somewhere I could buy these parts for a reasonable price and also a website with a tutorial for me to put them in... please post it up here.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
1. Not possible. the board and processor are one so the processor cannot be removed. Even if they were, a core 2 duo would not fit on a PPC board from a G3.
2. You're not going to find a logic board to fit in a g3 12" or 14" unless its another G3 model of the same screen size.
3. I believe you can only mac out a G3 laptop with one RAM stick. There is one built into the logic board. Max side made for a G3 laptop will be 512MB.
4. Any 2.5" IDE laptop drive will work
5. eBay for a superdrive. I am working on a guy who bought an off brand superdrive for his 500MHz G3 12" iBook and it will not burn DVD's. Plus, it looks bad.
If you want a core duo or core 2 duo Mac laptop, get a Macbook, it's the only way it will work. (laptops are not easily upgradable like desktop computers)
A good site for taking apart your iBook is ifixit.com
Bryan

OP
K
Reaction score
Not really the answer i was hoping for, but thank you very much.

Its a very good site but I want to see the difference between a few.
Does any one have any others?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
ifixit.com is all you will need.

you basically said that you want to upgrade your ibook to a macbook. i don't know what answers you were hoping for. bryphotoguy was dead on with all of his answers.

Reaction score
I know you want a different answer, but you need to re-read bryphotoguy again. As opposed to just saying "It can't be done" he gave some very good reasons. And he gave some good advice on what can be done. And he is right!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've taken apart about a dozen Mac laptops (Powerbooks, iBook Dual USB, G3 Clamshells, G4's) over the past year so I speak with experience. I recommend ifixit.com to everyone. I've never run into a single ounce of trouble.
Otherwise, google works. I've found so many different sites that have helped me but none I can remember.
Upgrading a laptop will be expensive. If it were possible to do what you wanted, it'd cost almost as much as it'd be to buy a new Macbook.
You can pick up a refurb Macbook for $800 or $900 from the Apple store online and it comes with a full warranty. You really can't beat it. I've bought 2 refurb. Macs and 2 refurb iPods over the past year. Its the way to go.
Bryan
If you've got the iBook already and you're thinking of selling it to get something else, let me know. I'm always game for buying older iBooks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not really the answer i was hoping for, but thank you very much.

Its a very good site but I want to see the difference between a few.
Does any one have any others?

There is NO SITE on the planet who will be able to assist you in making a g3 ibook a Core 2 Duo Macbook. Impossible.

bryphotoguy told you the EXACT truth.

Can you take say a Toshiba PIII laptop and just cram a Xenon 4 core in the board? The answer is also no. It's not a Mac problem.

Even if what you wanted to do could be done (Which is can not) you would end up spending more on parts than just buying a new Mac Book.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.