How to use external Hard drive as my main

Reaction score
I was wondering how could I use my external hard drive to boot up with 10.4.9 with my macbook? What do I need to do? What does the format need to be? Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
You can not. Apple software can only be installed on an apple computer. What you are asking violates the license agreement and is illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
You can boot off of an external drive, why would you want to do that though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can not. Apple software can only be installed on an apple computer. What you are asking violates the license agreement and is illegal.

Uh, no. OSX supports booting an Apple computer from external devices. I think it may be limited to Firewire only but I am not sure. You can also boot from a network drive if you have one set up. Doing any of the above does not violate anything as long as you legally own the copy of the System you are booting from.

All that being said, there seems to be some issues with doing so at all on Intel based Macs. I know it still works on PPC machines though. Apparently you can not boot both PPCs and Intels from the same external drive partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Plug in your external drive to your Macbook. Ensure that it's HFS-formatted (this is done in Disk Utility; new drives are generally pre-formatted in FAT32 and can be read and written to from OS X, but this filesystem cannot be used to boot from). What you'll see in Disk Utility is something called "Macintosh Journaled" or some such thing.

Insert your MacOS DVD and begin the install process. Your computer will reboot. Ensure you select the external volume as the destination. Wait a half-hour. Reboot. Done.

PowerPC Macs are limited to Firewire (as far as booting from). Intel Macs (such as the Macbook) can boot from either Firewire or USB.

As for the why--there are several reasons for wanting to do this. You can set up different environments with different boot partitions. External drives can be faster (I boot my Mac Mini from a 7200 RPM Firewire drive because it is faster than the 5400 RPM IDE 80gb drive that shipped with my old G4 mini).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Uh, no. OSX supports booting and Apple computer from external devices. I think it may be limited to Firewire only but I am not sure. You can also boot from a network drive if you have one set up. Doing any of the above does not violate anything as long as you legally own the copy of the System you are booting from.

All that being said, there seems to be some issues with doing so at all on Intel based Macs. I know it still works on PPC machines though. Apparently you can not boot both PPCs and Intels from the same external drive partition.
Intel macs require a different partition scheme than PowerPC macs to boot from.

To boot an intel mac of an external drive, you need to use the GUID partition scheme and HFS+ (Journaled) format.

But in my experience booting from external drives can be slower, so I'd try it out first before moving over entirely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
On my macbook pro i connect the external USB drive. Use disk utility to partition the disk as Mac Journaled.

I then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the internal hard drive to the external hard drive. I do not set it to change the external drive as the boot drive.

Once complete, leave the external connected, reboot, and when it restarts hold down the option key, you will eventually be asked which volume to boot from.

You will notice a longer boot time from the USB, but not by much, and most of the apps run fine once booted.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Uh, no. OSX supports booting an Apple computer from external devices. I think it may be limited to Firewire only but I am not sure. You can also boot from a network drive if you have one set up. Doing any of the above does not violate anything as long as you legally own the copy of the System you are booting from.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. Except as and only to the extent expressly permitted in this License or by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software or any part thereof.

Not that I'm trying to be a hard-on, and if you read the agreement that came with your computer, it specifically says "apple labeled computer". Everything I learned in training taught that you can not install os x on anything but an apple computer.
I'm not saying you can't do it and I could care less if you do, but if you ever need any software or hardware support, you will get none until your mac has os x installed on it.

Reaction score
This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time.
If I boot from an external drive, I'm using only one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time.

Edit: Immediately after that:
. . . and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.
I'm using the external system on the computer, but it doesn't exist on my computer.
and you many not make the Apple Software avilable over a network where it could be used by muliple computers at the same time.
Any external hard drive I might have would not be available to any multi-Mac setup.

The use of ", and you may not. . . ." could be construed as meaning I'd have to do all of the above before it runs afoul of the licence. and/or. . . . would have filled that loophole, if it is a loophole.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. Except as and only to the extent expressly permitted in this License or by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software or any part thereof.

Not that I'm trying to be a hard-on, and if you read the agreement that came with your computer, it specifically says "apple labeled computer". Everything I learned in training taught that you can not install os x on anything but an apple computer.
I'm not saying you can't do it and I could care less if you do, but if you ever need any software or hardware support, you will get none until your mac has os x installed on it.

Ok, so what if buy a second copy and use it for the external drive? What if I buy the family pack with 5 licenses that come with it? A copy on my external drive could be considered the backup copy they talk about. If I'm booting from my external drive, I am only using the software once and on one Apple Computer at a time. What if I am a corporation that has OSX Server to run the system over a network. What you quote is simply what came with the computer. What does the the server agreement for OSX say?

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Mac OS X Server Software. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Mac OS X Server software (the “Mac OS X Server Software”) on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Mac OS X Server Software to exist on more than one computer at a time.

You may connect an unlimited number of client computers to the Mac OS X Server Software; provided, however, that the number of simultaneous user connections using either the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) and/or Windows SMB/CIFS protocol does not exceed the number specified on the Serial Number Label packaged with the Apple Software.

B. Open-Sourced Components. Certain components of the Apple Software, and third party open source programs included with the Apple Software, have been or may be made available by Apple on its Open Source web site (http://www.opensource.apple.com/) (collectively the “Open-Sourced Components”). You may modify or replace only these Open-Sourced Components; provided that: (i) the resultant modified Apple Software is used, in place of the unmodified Apple Software, on a single Apple-labeled computer; and (ii) you otherwise comply with the terms of this License and any applicable licensing terms governing use of the Open-Sourced Components. Apple is not obligated to provide any maintenance, technical or other support for the resultant modified Apple Software.

C. NetBoot Software. Using a NetBooted Computer (as defined below), you may connect an unlimited number of client computers to the Mac OS X Server Software and have such client computers run any version of Mac OS software supporting the NetBooted Computer; provided that: (i) each such client computer is already licensed to run such version of the Mac OS software; and (ii) in the case of connections via the Apple File Protocol (AFP), the limitations set forth in Section 2A shall apply.

As used in this License, a “NetBooted Computer” means an Apple-labeled computer that is capable of operating from software stored on a remote NetBoot server, instead of from software stored on its local mass storage, by transferring the necessary software across a network, storing it in its memory and operating the software on its central processing unit.

D. Network Install Software. You may use the Network Install software included with the Apple Software to: (i) create multiple customized image files of Apple software and third party software, and (ii) make such image files available on a server for use on an unlimited number of computers at a time. You agree to ensure that each end user of such image files is aware of and complies with the terms of the software license(s) that governs the use of the software contained within such image files. The Network Install software may be used to install and reproduce materials so long as such use is limited to reproduction of non-copyrighted materials, materials in which you own the copyright, or materials you are authorized or legally permitted to reproduce, and you warrant to Apple that the software being installed has been appropriately licensed by you.

E. Macintosh Manager Administration Software. The Macintosh Manager Administration Software included with the Apple Software is governed by the terms and conditions of the software license agreement presented upon installation of that software. Please read that license and agree to its terms before using the Macintosh Manager Administration Software.

F. WebObjects Deployment Software. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may use, install and permit others to access the WebObjects deployment software included with the Apple Software to deploy application programs developed using Apple’s WebObjects software. You may also reproduce and distribute: (i) over a network, components of the WebObjects deployment software for installation and use by others (“Java Client End Users”) on any remote computer’s volatile memory (e.g. RAM) to enable Java Client functionality solely for communicating with Apple’s WebObjects software that may be installed and executed on the same Apple-labeled computer on which you have installed the Mac OS X Server Software (the “Licensed System”); and (ii) both manually and automatically over a network, components of the WebObjects deployment software for installation and use by Java Client End Users on any remote computer’s non-volatile memory (e.g. ROM) to enable Java Client functionality solely for communicating with Apple’s WebObjects software that may be installed and executed on the Licensed System; provided that all distributions to Java Client End Users under 2F (ii) above are made under terms that are at least as restrictive as those set forth in this License and contain the disclaimers and limitations set forth in Sections 6 and 7 of this License.

G. Sample Code. Certain portions of the Apple Software consist of sample or example code provided by Apple and are marked as such (“Sample Code”). You may use, reproduce, modify and redistribute such Sample Code in accordance with the licensing terms accompanying such Sample Code or related project(s).

H. Other Restrictions. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. Except as and only to the extent permitted in this License and by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software. THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

How about the retail version?

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time,and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.

B. Certain components of the Apple Software have been or may be made available by Apple on its Open Source web site (http://www.opensource.apple.com/) (collectively the "Open-Sourced Components"). You may modify or replace only these Open-Sourced Components; provided that: (i) the resultant Apple Software is used, in place of the unmodified Apple Software, on a single Apple-labeled computer; and (ii) you otherwise comply with the terms of this License and any applicable licensing terms governing use of the Open-Sourced Components. Apple is not obligated to provide any maintenance, technical or other support for the resultant Apple Software.

C. Except as and only to the extent permitted in this License and by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software or any part thereof. THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

Since you technically can't boot anything BUT an Apple computer with OSX, If I have a separate licensed version of OSX installed on a drive, I'm not in violation of anything. Since the backup software that comes with your Mac can ONLY be installed on your Mac, unlike the retail versions, this is sort of a non-issue as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I think you're reading too much into the license agreement :)

Apple's intention is to prevent users from pirating software and running OS X on non Apple x86 computers.
He's not trying to run OS X on his dell box - he's just booting externally.

No one in their right mind at Apple would deny you service for running a Mac off of an external harddrive. It might not be a "standard" configuration, but technically it's basically the same as running it off a second internal harddrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
dadsgravy you need to remember to observe one rule when on Mac-Forums. And that rule is never argue Macintosh facts with baggss. Many people and myself included would consider him one of the most knowledgable in Mac facts/information of all the people who frequent this forum.

I'm this instance on this topic he is right as he usually is.
Just remember that.

C

chas_m

the8thark: the thread you're replying to is two and a half years old.

Don't feel bad, I've done it too ...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not to be mean here but look at the date on the last post on this thread. It's almost 3 years old! :D

I do agree though that Baggss knows his stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.