Security Update 2007-005

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema
Don't know if the problem I have just encountered on two OSX computers is related to this security update, but it sure is timely if not.

Both computers on login went to a darwin/bsd screen and would not let me get to the OSX interface.

exiting would just reboot right back to darwin

did the update this morning at about 9 am and both computers went to darwin by 4 pm.

anybody else experience this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
It acted funky to me, but it wasn't bad. I updated it, and it started to reboot. It seemed to hang, not a very nice thing given that I was going to be reading a story to my daughter from here. I pushed the power button and held it until it rebooted. It was slow to boot, but it eventually came up to the normal OS X login screen. I logged in, read to the kiddo, and did a disk verify (disk utility, verify) and all was fine.

Hmmm... maybe I'll shut it down and see what it does. Brb...

UPDATE

Everything worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Don't know if the problem I have just encountered on two OSX computers is related to this security update, but it sure is timely if not.

Both computers on login went to a darwin/bsd screen and would not let me get to the OSX interface.

exiting would just reboot right back to darwin

did the update this morning at about 9 am and both computers went to darwin by 4 pm.

anybody else experience this?

Intels or PPCs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry about the lack of info - rushing around reinstalling the OS.

both are ppc - powerbook g4 and macmini
running 10.4.9 - at least they were
will now have to redownload the 168mb update for the os
hopefully it won't include this security update.

i won't even try the security update on my other macmini "intel" until i hear some more responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
downloaded and installed the 10.4.9 update on the powerbook g4 ppc and so far all is ok.

the macmini ppc still needs the update.

haven't rechecked for security updates yet. that will have to wait until later when i get back to work. hopefully the update from yesterday remained in place and the reinstall of the OS fixed the problem that security update caused. assuming of course that the update is the culprit.

it's just weird that both computers ended up with the same issue after the update.

I apologize in advance to Apple if it in fact had nothing to do with it. Just can't seem to find any other culprit.

Reaction score
My G4 restarted twice after I clicked on restart when the update finished. The gear spun for a long time during each.

I figured the update might have killed the caches to get the security fixes in place immediately, and the second restart was built in to reclaim the extra RAM used to restart the thing the first time without the caches and rewrite them. But I dunno.

The two restarts weren't the first time it had happened after an update, so I didn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My G4 iBook booted a bit slower than usual, but nothing horrendous. This has been the norm for updates with 10.4 though.

Reaction score
Using Applejack, I dumped the caches, including the stuff in my user's cache. The screen rolled on forever with the latest update junk still stored in my user's cache, almost as much as shows up after I lose my mind and run Safari.

Flush the caches and see if it makes any difference to the boot time if it's still slow. If it is, maybe there's a link somewhere slowing it down, since it seems to have been a complicated update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I got both my ppc g4 and ppc macmini up and running again.

Checked for a software update and there was the security update for this month waiting. Not going to go there.

I think it might be an issue for the ppc. My intel macmini rebooted fine.
Just to clarify a little. Both my ppc's ran for most of the work day. The G4 I was logging out and in multiple times. The macmini I only restarted after I noticed the problem with the G4. That is when that one booted into the darwin/bsd screen as well and would not reboot to the OSX interface.
This was several hours after the security update was run and both computers had been running for awhile.

You guys who are reporting no problem other than the slow boots after updates, are you running ppc's or intel's? If you are running ppc, have you restarted or logged in after several hours up and running since the update? If you are all running intel then I might be correct. If you are running ppc's or a mix then something else probably happened to both computers but I'll be darned if I know what.

Reaction score
I'm running a G4, and have had the thing up for hours, have restarted to boot into 9, and restarted back in X again. I updated yesterday.

When you ran the update, was any app running as well? If so, that might cause a problem, or so I've read. Were all your machines running the same particular app(s), if they were, when they updated?

I also ran a fsck -fy before the update, to make sure nothing was wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brown,

No, the were no apps running during the update.

I am going to run the security update again on this machine (macmini) after I logoff here and see what happens over the weekend. This machine is the least difficult to bring back to life if necessary. I'll do the other one if all works on this one.

Thanks for the reply.

remltr

M

MacHeadCase

Ditto!

Just followed the usual procedure (making backup with SuperDuper! to external hd, unplugging all peripherals and restarting for the installation of the update). The iMac restarted twice after the update. All is cool and stable and working nicely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ditto!

Just followed the usual procedure (making backup with SuperDuper! to external hd, unplugging all peripherals and restarting for the installation of the update). The iMac restarted twice after the update. All is cool and stable and working nicely.

I just updated my Quad and did none of those things and it worked fine, although it did do the double reboot thing.

What's next, wave chicken bones and burn incense while chanting during an update? Whatever happened to the old "It just works" saying? One person had an issue. Has anyone looked at Apples support site to see if there are widespread reports of issues or was this just one isolated incident?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
no issues here on all my macs. None at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
I just updated my Quad and did none of those things and it worked fine, although it did do the double reboot thing.

What's next, wave chicken bones and burn incense while chanting during an update?

That sounds... familiar

:Cool:

Reaction score
I just upgrade - no problems at all. Running a G4 Quicksilver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the macmini has been running for a day and a half with no problems since I reinstalled the os and reran the security update, so I guess it's time to do the powerbook and see if it will take without problems.

I am less inclined to believe that the security update caused my problems, but am really stumped as to "what" caused them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well the macmini has been running for a day and a half with no problems since I reinstalled the os and reran the security update, so I guess it's time to do the powerbook and see if it will take without problems.

I am less inclined to believe that the security update caused my problems, but am really stumped as to "what" caused them.

Be sure that nothing is running when the system is updating. Close all applications and do not mess with anything till the update is finished.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.