PB G4 Bootup issue - HD not spinning up

Reaction score
This has happened in the past and I ran a test through Disk Utility a few days ago. It found an error, fixed it through fsck and reported it good to go. It finally shut down on it's own 2 days ago while disconnected from the AC adapter and I haven't been able to boot up since.

It gives me the chime sometimes. It gives me the "invalid memory access" on Open Firmware sometimes. Sometimes it does nothing but turn the fan on.

I would love to take it to a Mac repair store but I'm in the southern California desert and the nearest one is 30 minutes away which is literally open 4 hours a week (no, really...literally).

I thought (prayed) it might be the pram battery going dead, but I haven't a clue. I'd hate to think I have a bad HD but it has been doing this seldomly for about a year (maybe once every couple months). Just a quick pram/nvram reset and a few reboots usually did the trick. Not this time.

I find it extremely odd that it did this just a couple days after I ran the test.

Thank you in advance for any help

Chris

Reaction score
I'm having seemingly the exact same problem.. So I was just wondering if you ever determined what was wrong, and how you went about fixing it? (I assume its a nonissue now since the post date is from so long ago)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.