ram usage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
does the computer still utilize or use ram on programs that are turned off??? or programs that are in the docking bar but are not presently running ??? just wondering to see if putting extra things in the docking bar can eat up ram??

thanks-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
no, as far as I know, it shouldn't. Go ahead and put whatever you like in the dock. I've been told that OS X 'juggles' RAM between the open apps, so it will automatically asign more RAM to the currently used app, and then use some of that RAM for another app when you switch to another one. Not sure if this is true or not, but it makes sense to me, and seems to be an effective way for an OS to manage RAM. Since you have 2 gigs of ram, I think that's plenty to run all sorts of apps anyway, so go nuts :D

Also, there's no real need to use three question marks for each question. One is sufficient :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.