Samba over VPN

Reaction score
I am connecting to my office Network over a VPN client provided by IPSecuritas. I want to mount the shared files onto my mac.

Shares on the Windows 2000 and 2k3 servers are mounting without any problem.

I put smb://192.168.1.124
I get an option for the share name and then authenticate to mount.

Now if I try to connect to a share on Windows XP machine the shared folders do not come. There is a error message saying unable to read or write server.

This is really confusing me. I believe that windows server shares use Samba User authentication and Windows XP uses Samba Share authentication.

Still I would need all the help to set this up to work.

Please help.

Reaction score
Samba or CIFS would have to be allowed through the VPN Firewall for your session. Also Windows when connecting to another Windows machine will not use SMB, rather NetBIOS or NetBEUI. Do you know the VPN ACL for these services? These protocol services are fully supported by Samba and viceversa. However the VPN might not see it this way since Sama's is a protocol for Unix based machines to view Windows directories, which leads me back to the VPN ACL for the services. They are diffrent...

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Apparently the issue was with the Windows Firewall. As the servers do not come with the prebuild firewall it was not blocking any connections from Samba.

When I disabled Windows Firewall on Windows XP it solved the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.