• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Cheap powerful Macs. Do they exist in the UK?

Reaction score
I'm 14 and want(ed) to build my own pc.:Oops:
I then found out how much better Leopard will be and want to use it.
I've also found out that you cant build your own Mac.

The point in building my own pc was that it would be cheap but very powerful.
Is there anywhere (in the UK), except ebay, that I can get myself:

>A cheap MacO:)
(below £500)
>Something reasonably powerful:Evil:
(above 2Ghz)

Thanks 4 all help;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'm 14 and want(ed) to build my own pc.:Oops:
I then found out how much better Leopard will be and want to use it.
I've also found out that you cant build your own Mac.

The point in building my own pc was that it would be cheap but very powerful.
Is there anywhere (in the UK), except ebay, that I can get myself:

>A cheap MacO:)
(below £500)
>Something reasonably powerful:Evil:
(above 2Ghz)

Thanks 4 all help;D

Ghz is not a measure of computing power. You could probably find an old G4 for under £500 that's over 3ghz(not familiar with speeds of the G(x) processors), but a new C2D that's 2ghz will blow it out of the water. If you want something that will run modern day apps, you'll probably be looking at a refurbed Macbook or maybe a 17" imac, depending on how pricing goes over there. You'll still be running an integrated graphics card with those, so anything with 3d graphics isn't really going to be much of an option. Save your cash, then purchase what you want when you have enough money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
You might want to take a look at the Apple Refurbished Store. The units are usually perfectly fine, and you can get exactly what you want: a cheap, powerful mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G3 450MHZ 512 RAM DVD
I've spent a lot of time exploring the same thing

Under £500 or just on £500 depending on the config, will get you a Quicksilver power mac on ebay, other websites will charge a lot for a powerPC platform (A lot of them also seem to deal on ebay, anyway)

What are you hoping to use the computer for? Some of the Quicksilvers can go for £300, they are G4s - maybe around 800MHZ.. I think up to.. 1.25GHZ

A very rough comparrison that I've never really bothered with would be a 1GHZ G4 performing like a 2.8GHZ Pentium 4

Thats very vague and I don't know what use it would be to you, I doubt its even right

When you say 2GHZ do you mean the latest AMDs? The latest Intels?

sure GHZ don't measure power, the G4s are great but they are not really used anymore and they are 32bit

Lets say you are really short of cash and can't afford one of the latest Core2Duos that you have been wanting (Those **** things are cheaper in refurb but still so much)

Building a PC might be an option (If you wouldn't like to save, or decide to go with the PC) with one of Intel's dual core models, you'll get a lot more for your money than a G4

You'd be getting dual core, which opens a world of multi-tasking, its 64bit so ready for the feature to an extent, its also readily supported compared to the G4.

Its just a generally more cost effective method of buying and a more practical option

If you want to go into the matter any further thats great but I don't think theres any way of getting what you want

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I'd save my money up and get a MacBook - I got a refurbed one for £660 and it's plenty of machine for the money. I used to build PCs reguarly, but it's a pain in the **** these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Problems is, you're looking to buy something in a 'market'.

You are always going to be competing against people who can afford to pay more than a 14 year old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
What about a mac mini? they are dual core

Reaction score
Rumours are they'll be orphaned.

Which I call BS on. There is no way Apple will abandon the mini. Despite the claim it's not selling well, quite the opposite is true. The mini's are selling like hot-cakes.

Now, discontinuing the mini and replacing it with something else? (Mac nano anyone?) Feasible.

On topic, a mini would be a very good computer if you're looking for new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.