Problems with loud humming sounds

Reaction score
Hi. I am a first time mac owner, so I do not know very much about this stuff. I was wondering if some one could help me out with this problem. So, my Mac mini is making a very loud humming sound every time I turn it on. It never used to make this sound until about the beginning of this week. Everything works fine, it's just really irritating. Does anyone have any clue what the problem can be or is there any suggestions on what I can do to correct this problem? Thanks, again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Sorry, wrong forum. Mods move to Mac mini forums.

Welcome to MF, ChristineHoangT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Does tapping the case stop it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
Power it down for a while, zam the pram. If that doesn't work I reckon you have a duff fan.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking "duff fan"? What's that mean? Oh man! a broken fan? I guess I should get it checked out then. It's too bad I don't have a warranty yet. They should be able to fix the problem once I buy the warranty, right? I hope so.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you have a CD or DVD in the drive? Some CD's have made the Optical drive make this LOUD buzzing/Humming sound as it was having issues with the CD.

How long you had the Mini?

It could be the CPU fan.

OP
C
Reaction score
I checked and there's nothing in the drive. I thought that was the problem at first, but there's nothing in it. I had my computer for about 4-5 months now. It's weird, everything seems to work all right, but I'm worried there's problems with the fan. I don't want to over heat my computer. I think all I can do now is buy a warranty and have my local apple store check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.