If and when Open Office comes out with a native port for Mac, will Neo Office go down

Reaction score
If Open Office came out with an OO native mac version in cocoa would you switch from NeoOffice to Open Office? Do you think the whole NeoOffice project will become a footnote in history, or will it continue it's own way.

My observation has been that these Open Source projects tend to take on a life of their own after a while and I think that by the time OO comes out with a native version for Mac that the NeoOffice community will have a number of reasons to continue their work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
:) Don't hold your breath for a Cocoa version.
Neo office is great and probably as close as you will get ~ The X11 version is far too complex to set up for many users.
The Cocoa version has been talked about and played with for years, everyone wants it, preferably for no cost ~ nobody wants to spend all their spare time working on it and why should they.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I think that, for most Mac users, a native port would have many advantages over NeoOffice, assuming it was done well. We can hope for better performance, UI improvements, and better integration with other Mac applications.

But NeoOffice probably wouldn't change much. Development might slow down, but it's not a company that can go out of business.

:) Don't hold your breath for a Cocoa version.
Neo office is great and probably as close as you will get ~ The X11 version is far too complex to set up for many users.
The Cocoa version has been talked about and played with for years, everyone wants it, preferably for no cost ~ nobody wants to spend all their spare time working on it and why should they.

The rumors are getting traction now that Sun is officially contributing to the Mac OOo port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.