Is 1GB enough or should i get a 2nd GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi! Im looking to buy a macbook and i was wondering what specs id be aiming for.

I would usually just use it for...
Internet browsing (i browse a lot of media like streaming videos on youtube etc..)
Music
MSN
And maybe just a little bit of light gaming.

Id like to know if i should get the 2.0 ghz or 2.16 ghz version
And If i would need 1 or 2 GB of ram. THanks!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
everything except for the light gaming, 1 GB will be fine. of course 2Gb will make things a bit snappier, but 1Gb should work just fine.

now, by light gaming, what exactly are you shooting for? the macbook is a fickle mistress when it comes to gaming (unless you're using bootcamp and windows games that require little to no dedicated graphics).

Reaction score
The more memory your computer has, the more programs you can run simultaneously, and the better performance you get from your computer. How much memory is right for you?

Choose 512MB of memory (two 256MB modules) to support most day-to-day tasks such as email, word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing, and basic iLife '06 tasks.

Select 1GB of memory (two 512MB modules) if you'll be photo editing, creating illustrations, or building complex presentations.

Upgrade to the 2GB option (two 1GB modules) if you plan to use your system regularly for sound design, video editing, DVD authoring, animation, and other intensive tasks.

Reaction score
I have a macbook and can't recommend it for gaming unless you are playing old games perhaps?

WOW gets very low fps. And I recently became addicted to it so I know have the unpleasant situation of looking to perhaps sell my 4 month old macbook at a loss to get a macbook pro. But I am fighting the impulse very strongly because I detest the bigger size. My macbook fits perfectly in my backpack stuffed with schoolbooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I couldnt even run doom without the fans kicking in. My mac is not really a gaming machine. But when it comes to email, word processing, music, and msn, you'll be fine with 1GB. I had 1GB and was doing all that plus encoding .avis and burning dvds with no problems.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well by light gaming, I mean hmm... nothing graphic heavy. the most graphic heavy game I would have is like.. fifa 06.. But I dont intend to use it much for gaming purposes what about dvd burning. I store lot of my stuff on dvd's.

I've seen some youtube videos and read some comments of people using 1GB and it seemed to work perfectly fine. How much is 1GB of ram for MB's these days anyways?

And I kinda multitask quite a bit.

MSN Messenger, a couple of browser windows..(or tabs), with itunes running in the back. What about that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.