Dust, Fans, MBP Questions

Reaction score
Hey I'm was wondering where the heck to the fans on the MBP "suck" the air from? I know that the fans blow air out from the grill on the back, but where does the air gets sucked from? Also coming from a dekstop I would open the case and clean the dust that has accumulated. Now I can't do that, should I even be worried about dust buildup?

Reaction score
Your Macbook isn't a vacuum cleaner, it doesn't suck in air. The fans are only there to vent the hot air out. Cooler room air will automatically fill the void, and will enter through the same fan vent, other ridges, the inside of the MBP isn't vacuum sealed :) .

Speaking of vacuum, run a hand vacuum over the fan panels once a year or so...

OP
C
Reaction score
oh I see... laws of Thermodynamics. Yeah I was confused since all my desktops had a fan that sucked and a fan that blew the hot air away, I guess I learned another thing today.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
I have never disassembled a laptop without dust bunnies.

Use canned air, much as i love Macs they are not magically dust immune.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
where is the hot air expelled and where does the cool clean air enter from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
In regards to where the fans are, go to www.ifixit.com and check out their disassembly guides; they are an excellent way to see your Mac for what they really are. On a MBP, there are two fans placed near the outer edges of the rear vents.

By the way, definitely used canned air. I heard that some vacuums give off huge amounts of static electricity which would be a big problem for cleaning out a computer.

OP
C
Reaction score
I never really understood why I would like to use canned air. If I shoot it through the vents won't it just push the dust even deeper? I think I should wait one year to open it and clean it so I won't void my warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
personally, i wouldnt worry about the dust enough to make a stink about opening it up.

now if i was upgrading something, or needed to open it, then i would do the dust, but never would i just open it to clean it, waste. Now if you see a "hairball-like" fuzzball sticking out, it may be that time :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
Ya I agree, there is no point in opening it just to clean the dust out of it. I wouldn't think that there is a large amount of dust in there anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.