Just got it!!

W

WhitE_RabbiT

It's finally here. I am so excited. My new powerbook, check on the left.

This is my first mac. Any suggestions on programs I should purchase/install? What should I remove?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Sweet setup mate! Get a game demo and blast it away in ur system! Jeez, 128MB graphics.... :drool:

ps- The "Offering" on DeviantArt is wicked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Super congratz! That is a kick *** set up! If you don't use Mac Janitor or Macaroni post and I'll add the manual Mac clean up steps :)

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

Ya, I'm going to install UT 2k3.

BTW, thanks very much for the comment on my shot. I really need to get more uploaded. Of course I will now that I have my Mac, and I will feel much more comfortable PS'ing. I hated using PS on my PC.

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

I'm unfamiliar with both of those programs. Perhaps you could fill me in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Mac Janitor is the one I see the most, once installed it's very intuitive and handles both daily/weekly/monthly crons and repair premissions. I use neither; I'm a terminal type :p but both work fine if you like I can post the terminal steps just for fun :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
you know funny thing. You have the EXACT SAME SETUP that I WANTED!!! Thats okay. I guess its a omen. Welcome to the Mac Community by the Way!

OP
P

prozach1576

I should be getting that same Powerbook, albiet with 512 mb of RAM, on Monday, before 10:30

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
WhitE_RabbiT said:
It's finally here. I am so excited. My new powerbook, check on the left.

This is my first mac. Any suggestions on programs I should purchase/install? What should I remove?

Additional programs that I use, which you might want to try:

OnyX - maintenance application that's easy to use and has many features

WeatherPop - puts weather in your Menu bar

TurboMem - an application that release any RAM being held after an application is closed, and has a few other memory management features

VLC - a multi-purpose media player

You can find all of these (and lots more) on either http://versiontracker.com or http://macupdate.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
And you might want Mac Janitor or Macaroni

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
witeshark said:
And you might want Mac Janitor or Macaroni

OnyX takes care of all of that for me. But I did originally use MacJanitor before I switched to OnyX. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Neat! I like the manual terminal way myself :)

OP
Y

Yuniverse

I wonder how virtualPC would run on the new 1.5GHz PB? Anyone care to comment?

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

well, i haven't really given it a hardcore test, but. so far it runs real well for me.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Padawan said:
TurboMem - an application that release any RAM being held after an application is closed, and has a few other memory management features

Just so you know Padawan, OS X automatically takes care of the memory stuff. The way it works is that once an application closes, the memory is released but left resident (leaving any cache files in memory for faster access). So if a program wants to use that memory later, THEN the OS will release it automatically. My point is, from a developers standpoint, your memory releasing program is most likely actually slowing down the OS because you're forcing it to flush cache files that it may need later, and the OS can handle all of that stuff on its own anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.