Many iTunes / iPod problems -- long

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
O.K., for starters -- I am using a MacBook with 2 gigs of RAM (though I don't think that is particularly relevant -- just posting in case it might be), iTunes updated with all updates, 80 gig 5.5 gen iPod, bought same day as MacBook - so never used on Windows. Library is stored on an external, and I have consolidated (often -- just in case) and have the appropriate boxes checked for "add to iTunes Library", "keep organized", etc. I have repaired permissions, have run OnyX to clean caches, etc. Almost all items are working fine, just a few stragglers.

I enjoy many podcasts (all downloaded / subscribed to from within iTunes -- none external), and am having trouble getting them onto the iPod. Here are the problems:

1. Sometimes certain episodes of a given subscription will show up with the exclamation point, and when I click on it, I get the error message that there was a "problem adding [name of podcast] -- file might be corrupted or a file type that iTunes cannot play". How is it that a podcast in the ITS cannot be played in iTunes? No matter how many times I click on "Get", I get the same error. If it is corrupted, why is it still in the store?

2. In the same series of podcasts, there are 3 more that have the exclamation point. When I click on those, the error message is "Problem downloading [podcast name]. The URL [name of URL] could not be found on the server". If it is in iTunes, and I am connected to the store, how can it not be found? Shouldn't the link have been removed fromiTunes? Again, no matter how many times I click on "Get" I get the same error.

3. After I update my iPod (have it set to update all unplayed podcasts), I will get an error that says "Some of the items in the iTunes Library including [name of podcast] were not copied to the iPod [name of iPod] because they could not be found". I have my library consolidated on the external, the podcasts are not on the internal drive (have not started iTunes without the external mounted)and all check boxes are correctly checked (based on instructions from Apple). They all have the little blue button indicating they are new/unplayed. There are 22 of these items based on the dropdown box on the error screen. How can they be lost? Where are they? Spotlight does not turn them up.

4. Again, after updating the iPod, I will get an error message that says "Some of the videos in your iTunes library including [name of a video] were not copied because they cannot be played on this iPod". There are 20 of these. How is it that a video on iTunes Store cannot be played on the latest generation iPod? How do I correct this? One subscription is called Stump the Chef (Apple TV HD). Can this not be played on an iPod? The rest are all just regular video podcasts -- for instance David Pogue's NYT video -- certain ones will play, one or two will not. Any help here?

5. I have also had issues with iTunes just losing my music -- "can't be found". Just arbitrarily! Any ideas here? I'm in the process of digitizing all my media, and then getting rid of the hard copies (trying to clean out and retire), and don't want to lose anything. Any ideas here?

Thanks for reading this long ramble -- I would appreciate any help and advice offered. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Hmm.

I'm not sure about the stuff disappearing, but as for playing first thing I'd do is make sure quicktime is completely up to date - sys preferences / software update.

I had a few probs with mine until I sorted that out.

Reaction score
Apple TV file vs iPod video file

on #4, the Stump the Chef podcast is an Apple TV podcast. It will play on an Apple TV device and some fast Macs. You will need the iPod video version to load on your ipod. Those should be on iTunes in the next few days. Please check back.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, jonnyd for the idea. Unfortunately for me, I was already up to date, so that was not the problem. I'll keep trying!

To Jiiiiimmm -- thanks for that also -- I was not sure if the ApleTV stuff would play or not -- so I'll keep looking for this as well.

so, I guess I am still basically where I started! Any more ideas?

Again, thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd
What happened to "It just works" I have been having trouble transfering My song from my 5g ipod to my new mac, It will not send even ONE song!

It was used previously on itunes for windows but does that matter? Its made for apple, for a apple product, What gives!

BUT....... I want to print something on My hp printer, I hit print and guess what....? IT PRINTS!! No software install required! Go figure??!??

" It just works" 1/2 the time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I do all of my synching manually so I've never done it, but I noticed that the option under FILE in iTunes says "Transfer Purchases from iPod". Does that mean it will only transfer iTMS stuff?

4. Again, after updating the iPod, I will get an error message that says "Some of the videos in your iTunes library including [name of a video] were not copied because they cannot be played on this iPod". There are 20 of these. How is it that a video on iTunes Store cannot be played on the latest generation iPod? How do I correct this? One subscription is called Stump the Chef (Apple TV HD). Can this not be played on an iPod? The rest are all just regular video podcasts -- for instance David Pogue's NYT video -- certain ones will play, one or two will not. Any help here?

5. I have also had issues with iTunes just losing my music -- "can't be found". Just arbitrarily! Any ideas here? I'm in the process of digitizing all my media, and then getting rid of the hard copies (trying to clean out and retire), and don't want to lose anything. Any ideas here?

4- I can't even get that podcast to download or even subscribe to it. I suspect that if it is in HD for the Apple TV, it may not play on the iPod, which makes no sense at all I agree.

5-Where are you putting the music? Are you letting iTunes add the music to the library and then physically moving the files to a different location? There has to be some reason why the iTunes DB is losing track of it's whereabouts and 9 times out of 10 it's because the files are being moved about. IF you have the option to let iTunes organize the musisc checked, then you need to leave it where iTunes puts it. If you have it unchecked, then you probably want to not have iTunes add it until you have moved the files to their final location and then add them manually. Since my collection/Library is spread across 4 external drives, this is what I do.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Baggss for your input! I do have iTunes set to organize my music, and I don't move anything about. When I add to the library, say from when I record a radio show (using Wire Tap Pro), I choose Add to Library and then pick what I want to add. I formerly thought that the Import command would add to the library, but my son set me straight and said to Add to Library. Don't really understand the difference between them, though, and why use one over the other. But that is what I do now. One of those shows got lost, but I know it was in iTunes, because I had started to listen to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.