Command for fetch the list of software installed

Reaction score
Is there any specific darwin command to fetch the list of software installed in a mac machine. If not a command, is there any other way to fetch it.

It would be of great help if anyone could answer this question.

Thanks in advance.

Srijai.

Reaction score
You can view the installed software here:

BlueAppleIconInMenuBar -> About This Mac -> More Info -> Software (In Left Pane)

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Pulse-8,
Thank you for the quick response. But I want to fetch it programatically, so is there any specific command that would return the same details.

Srijai.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,
I think a ls command in /Applications and its sub folders will fetch the software installed

Srijai.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
Yeah, that's what I would do.

Open your Terminal and change the directory to Applications and just type ls once there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
The majority of time you need to be aware of other apps is if you're looking to set a default for a protocol (open these files with this app, programmatically), where you use Launch Services. This is Carbon, but as of now it is the only way to access this infrastructure.

If you're looking at launched apps, NSWorkspace's launchedApplications method returns an NSArray with that information.

Anyway, why do you need to know the apps on the system? If you give the context, perhaps I can lead you further.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.