Broken iBook G4 1.42 GHz logicboard

Reaction score
So i spilled beer on my ibook g4 and it fried the logicboard (got under the keyboard into the logicboard). i sent it into applecare and they said they found a yellow sticky residue thus, they wont fix it for me. I had it returned to me and it was sitting for a while. Now, i've decided to do something about it myself. I can't find any good deals on a new/used iBook G4 1.42 GHz logicboard. Anyone know where i can get them for a fair price?

If not, do you guys know if a G4 1.33 GHz will fit into my 1.42 GHz casing? I'm fine with running a 1.33 Ghz. I noticed there are differences in the two logicboards. Much thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
i didnt want to spend past 150.. im really curious if the 1.33 logicboard will fit in my 1.42 though!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i didnt want to spend past 150.. im really curious if the 1.33 logicboard will fit in my 1.42 though!

I will check around and see what I can find. Your machine is the 14" iBook correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i wouldnt think it would be worth it spending $300 on a logic board.

you will probably upgrade in a year or so and i would have though you would be better upgrading now rather than spending $300

just my say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I would assume no go for $150 for a logic board. It's the newest of the g4's so the technology is still fairly new in terms of the iBooks. Have you tried booting it up recently. It could have dried itself out over the few weeks....
eBay will be for sure the cheapest way but you could always end up with a bad for, especially when your range is $150.
If you do decide to upgrade, would you be willing to sell? To me perhaps?? I got a collection of 14" G4's going and it couldn't hurt to have another at the right price.
As for using a 1.33, I couldn't tell ya. I use ifixit.com a lot and they don't lump their guide for the 1.4 in with the 1.33. I am going to say it wouldn't work for that reason. I am not positive though.
Sorry to hear for the loss.
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.