How to get my Mac/Ubuntu box to play nice?

Reaction score
I'd like to get these two things networked. From my Mac, I still have to ssh into my Ubuntu box via IP, not name. What network type is Mac? NFS? Other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Mac and NFS don't play nice together. I spent days trying to get this to work between my Arch Linux box and my Mac. After much effort and much research on the web, and many failed alternatives, I gave up.

I have settled on good old ssh - it is more powerful than you may think. I don't know if Ubuntu supports it, but look into sshfs, a virtual file system based on ssh. If you have sshfs loaded on your Linux box, you can specify your Mac in /etc/fstab as being of type "sshfs" and it works like a charm. I have been very pleased with it.

Also, if you are running KDE, you can use Konqueror's fish:// protocol to connect up to the ssh server on your Mac. In Konqueror's address line, just put in "fish://ip-address-of-your-mac" and it will happily connect. I do this frequently from my SuSE Linux install, which I haven't loaded sshfs onto.

By the way, if you don't want to have to keep entering the IP address of your Mac all the time, and it is fairly static, you can add an entry to /etc/hosts with that IP address and any symbolic name that suits your fancy. Then you can specify a name instead of an IP address in sshfs and/or fish.

Good luck!!

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm running Gnome (Ubuntu).. so fish protocol won't work. That's too bad the two machines can't share files somehow. Thanks for the tip on adding the hostname to /etc/hosts!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.