• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Some customer service

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
So yesterday I bought my father a macbook for his birthday. He was thrilled to get a laptop but decided that windows would be a better choice for him considering how much of his business relies on windows programs. I was fine with it and was happy to return it for him.

So today I go over to the apple store to return the macbook and applecare (all unopened). I approach the young lady at the counter and tell her that I wanted to return the computer. I give her the ALL the proper paperwork and then came the interrogation. She asks me why I am returning the computer and I told her that my father didnt want it and she responded with, "Wow. so let me get this straight...You spent $1300 on a computer and decide you dont want it now? That makes sense...I have the same exact computer at home and I love it." So I congratulate her and she continues to throw her attitude at me. I couldnt believe this 17 year old little tramp had the balls to try to talk down to me like that. Even the people next to me in line were floored.

Eventually the manager came over and inspected everything and finally let me return the merchandise.

I cant believe I experienced this from apple. I have always been a loyal customer, and if they had looked up my name they would have seen that I have purchased four computers, 5 ipods, and an isight over the past two years.

I am so upset. Especially since apple is known for their phenominal customer service.

end rant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
How do you know she was 17 AND a tramp?

;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting, you tell her you bought it as a gift for your dad and he did not want it so you are returning it? Wow, some people. I could care what her age was, what she did was wrong. And why did she think you needed 2 Macbooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Well, I believe she has never mentioned you would not be able to return your merchandise. As a good seller, she was maybe just trying to convince you how great your purchase was. That's not THAT bad....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I live 5 minutes from an Apple store but only go there if there is a new product I want to see in person or if I absolutely have to. The people working at the store used to be incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, but now they are seem to be hiring anybody who can say a sales pitch. Not too mention with apples lax policy on people trying out their computers you can barely find an open computer because of all of the people checking their myspace or playing with photobooth with their friends.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just goes to show the sorry state of customer service anymore. It's a shame that someone like that is employed at an Apple store. Personally, after the first sentence I would have used my favorite line.... "SUPERVISOR, NOW!!!". That usually modifies a retail clerk's behavior quickly - especially if the store is crowded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
but now they are seem to be hiring anybody who can say a sales pitch.
I wish it were true around here. I can't get a job there, I've applied so many times it's insane, I even personally talked to the manager and he said they would keep an eye out for my app.. i call and i still didn't get through.

It sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
customer service

i reckon she was well within her rights as an employee
to at least ask you - why you wanted a return.

i also thing you are bang out of order calling her a tramp.

you could have put windows on it, and kept it and had the
best of both worlds.

best regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
After 15 years of working in customer service, managing retail stores, and other kinds of related work, it sounds to me like the employee made a good decision, but unfortunately didn't know how to make their speech center operate properly.

You see, I've always directed employees to find out why people are returning the merchandise, and to see if they can convince them to change their mind. Moreoften than not, a customer usually is returning something half-cocked and if they can be helped properly, they'll usually not return the item.

However in your case, the employee apparently had her head stuck up her behind. She was totally out of line about 4 sentences into the conversation, and you should have just stopped talking, and asked for her supervisor. That almost never fails...because if the employee doesn't know responsibility, the supervisor usually does and can assist you. If not, then take the complaint as high as you can go. If you have a grievance, then say something. :)

Reaction score
I live 5 minutes from an Apple store but only go there if there is a new product I want to see in person or if I absolutely have to. The people working at the store used to be incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, but now they are seem to be hiring anybody who can say a sales pitch. Not too mention with apples lax policy on people trying out their computers you can barely find an open computer because of all of the people checking their myspace or playing with photobooth with their friends.

Don't want to go into too much but where I live is basically the same, possibly worse but it does depend on each individual as these days you only get the service you demand, it's not to be taken for granted at all.

OP
digital john
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i reckon she was well within her rights as an employee
to at least ask you - why you wanted a return.

i also thing you are bang out of order calling her a tramp.

you could have put windows on it, and kept it and had the
best of both worlds.

best regards

The only rights employees have is minimum wage and safe work conditions. An employee has no right raising the voice to a customer just because they want to make a return. All my the packages were in perfect condition all the serial numbers matched and I have a good history with the company.

If the employee just tried to ask me why I was returning in a nice tone of voice I would have no problem answer her questions. I was more then nice when I was joking with her in line and trying to make her feel comfortable when she was dropping the scanners all over the place. Theres no reason to be sarcastic and condescending. To hades with giving them any response. I did not have to. I was within my rights according to their return policy and she had absolutely no right raising her voice with me in the first place.

Trust me I know customer service I'm in the restuarant business.

ps. Just keep it and put windows on it? What would the point of that be if my father was only going to use windows? I could get a dell with the same specs for almost $600 less. Actually I am looking at the Dell mag that just came in the mail and the dell has a bigger hard drive and a larger screen.

I dont think I'm out of line calling her a tramp. I could have done so in line and belittled her in front of a store full of people like many other people would choose do to. I did not. I handled myself with class and respect.

Whenever I heard people saying that mac users were arrogant and condescending I always just blew it off because I thought they were just sore pc users. Now I can see exactly how mac fans have gotten this reputation.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think DB would agree with what I am going to say. Getting a Mac JUST to run Windows is not a good thing. If you want to run Windows and NOT OSX, get a PC.

Again, she was way out of line. This has nothing to do with bashing Apple, it's one worker in an Apple store, and she should be reprimanded at least.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
She definitely sounded out of line. She could have said it a completely different way and it would have been fine.

Something like "Thats a shame, I've got the same machine and love it. Sorry that it didn't work out for you"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I agree, that if she answered in the fashion you described, she was way out of line. Yes, it is the job of an employee to at least try to find out why a return is being requested and (depending on the store's policy) attempt to find a way where the customer would keep or at least take a credit for the purchase, rather than a straight return/refund. Sometimes employees may seem terse when doing returns, but that is a world of difference from being downright rude. Your description clearly shows her as being rude and exhibiting a very poor attitude. I have over 15 years of retail and customer service experience (both associate and managerial) and were I her supervisor, she would have no doubt been reprimanded for behavior like that.

I disagree with the following statement, however:
The only rights employees have is minimum wage and safe work conditions. ...Trust me I know customer service I'm in the restuarant business.
Though she appears to have been rude, she is still a human being. Employees have the same rights as any other person, co-worker and customer alike. Just because a person works in a service-realted industry, it doesn't mean they are complete peons with no rights outside of a paycheck. It is usually these same people who take the phrase "the customer is always right" literally. If anyone truly believes that, then they either don't work in a service industry or haven't worked in one for very long.

Nevertheless, you seem to have handled yourself with impeccable candor and didn't stoop to the level of an overbearing, demanding, and irrational customer and berate her publicly. I understand full-well how it feels to have been a customer who was treated poorly by an employee, and I do commend you for holding it together while in the store.

I have seen the situation in reverse several times, where the employee is nothing but cordial, yet the customer becomes rude, enraged, and combative without any provocation other than they didnt' get "their way". These are usually the people who complain about "customer service levels dropping" in the industry, when the service levels are the same. The only thing that has changed is that customers are more and more demanding to the point where their expectations no longer match the level of acceptable and fair customer service. They simply complain, threaten to sue, and make wild accusations about the employee (company or manager) being the "worst" service they have ever received. NOBODY has the right to treat an employee in that manner, no matter what transpired. I have ejected customers from the store when they have treated my employees in that way, no matter what the employee allegedly did or didn't do. If the employee was out of line, I would deal with it because that was my job as a manager. However I chose to deal with it was not the customer's concern. All the customer need know is that the situation was going to be dealt with. It is NOT the customer's place to berate, belittle, or try to decide the discipline of employees. If they want to badmouth the employee after they have left the store, then so be it. It is not the time or the place to behave in that manner when dealing with a store employee directly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I get pretty annoyed when sales people try to talk me out of a return or service when I'm canceling. It's obvious that I've thought it out and want what I'm asking for. Anything other than helping me make it happen is an insult on my intelligence and my ability to make decisions.

I've worked in customer service and the places I've worked for understand this. Great customer service is giving people what they ask for, not prodding them into what the company wants or treating them like a child who can't make decisions.

Sometimes "bad customer service" can be a good thing. When I return something to Wal-Mart there are no questions asked. Nobody cares enough to ask. No sales people bother when I shop. I really enjoy that.

Reaction score
**** Smith have a "no questions asked" return policy. This is great cos I've had to return a few products but the first thing I was asked in all instances was; "What is the reason for returning the goods." I don't mind telling them but have to chuckle a bit about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
Personally, after the first sentence I would have used my favorite line.... "SUPERVISOR, NOW!!!".
Excellent! One of my favorite lines as well. ;)

Reaction score
She was out of line. You got the return and won't have to deal with her again. You should be so lucky ahah. :D

OP
digital john
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh well. I'm over it. It is just very frustrating when you have gladly handed over your hard earned money to a company several times to just get treated like trash the one time you decide to return a product.

In my opinion her response would have been totally justified if I said "I don't want this computer anymore...it sucks..." But I didnt say that and I was cordial and polite. Sometimes when customers are out of line they need to be put in their place. I was nowhere near out of line.

I am usually the guy who goes out to eat and tips 20% even if I get bad service, because I have been there before and know what it is like dealing with the public.

I am aware employees have rights but I was trying to say they don't have rights in regards to disprecting customers. I suppose it wasnt clear.

Thanks for the negative rep by the way...Like I care.

Take care
john

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.