Superdrive Failure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Hi all,
I recently started to have problems burning disks. i was losing about 20% to sense errors, etc. I looked around, and decided from various forums i read that i should clean my disk drive. Since running a cleaning disk I now have 100% burn failure, and my data disks no longer register at all, they just open in the finder as a blank burn disk, ready for burning. Toast disk info, says my disks are blank, which they are not. I've run the cleaning disk 3 or 4 times now, to no avail.
I tried a bought DVD and it played fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Sim

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi all,
I recently started to have problems burning disks. i was losing about 20% to sense errors, etc. I looked around, and decided from various forums i read that i should clean my disk drive. Since running a cleaning disk I now have 100% burn failure, and my data disks no longer register at all, they just open in the finder as a blank burn disk, ready for burning. Toast disk info, says my disks are blank, which they are not. I've run the cleaning disk 3 or 4 times now, to no avail.
I tried a bought DVD and it played fine.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Sim

Sounds like faulty hardware to me. As mechanical drives age, they begin to fail with regular usage. You might want to consider buying a replacement Superdrive from ifixit.com or purchase an external CD/DVD burner.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Thanks for the reply. I've hardly burn't many disks in the 16 months i've had the iMac. I'm also surprised it went from burning some disks to complete failure after using a cleaning disk. If i buy a new superdrive, can I install it myself? These i macs don't look very customisable. cheers.

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've just checked ifixit.com and there's nothing about G5 iMac's there at all, nor any Superdrives for sale! Confused...

OP
Simbad54
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks christm. I am some what nervous about buying a new drive whilst not knowing for sure that mine is broken. I can't understand why it failed completely to burn or read writable discs after something as non invasive as cleaning it with a disc? It doesn't make sense? It's a shame that the Apple Hard ware test doesn't check the Superdrive as well. Is there perhaps some way of running a diagnostic? A big problem is I live in Paris, and although there is an apple maintenance store on my street,(big bonus) my French isn't great, esp for discussing Computers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.