Bundled Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
I've had my Macbook for nearly a week and have realised that the 80 Gb HDD is a little full.

I tried to check the install discs for what the bundled software is but the only option is to re-install the lot, and the apple site doesn't say either.

I know a few of them:

iWorks trial, Garage Band, MS Office trial, iDVD, iLife, iWeb. I know there's more but what? I need to know what they all are so i don't delete something i can't re-install.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
anything that came ON the mac when you bought it is ON those dvd's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
in fact, you CAN reinstall them. With a software like Pacifist, you can extract them from your install disks, being able to reinstall them without having to do a full install of your OS.

So..if you do not use them, get rid of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
in fact, you CAN reinstall them. With a software like Pacifist, you can extract them from your install disks, being able to reinstall them without having to do a full install of your OS.

So..if you do not use them, get rid of them.

Hmm, so does that mean I can use the iWork trial for 30 days then when it expires trash it and re-install to use for another 30 days? Lather, rinse, repeat? Or does Apple have some kind of hidden mechanism that would make that more trouble than it's worth? Otherwise, that's about two gig I could use for other things.

Not that I would do that, I have Office for Mac and NeoOffice that I use for the rare times I do office like things on my Mac.

Heck, I don't really do office like things on the work supplied Dell all that often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I believe there are some Library files that prevent you from simply trashing trial software and then reinstalling it. Though if you use a program like AppZapper or AppDelete, I have found that in most cases it works. But I would definitely not condone this (not to mention the fact it would be a pain to lose all your preferences and start new every 30-60 days).

Arekisu, if you want to save some space, search for a product called Monolingual. It'll get rid of language packs that you don't use, saving between 2-3GB of space. Garageband takes up around 2-3GB as well, so if you don't use it, that's some space saved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
you can also save some space in your HDD with TrimTheFat.

TrimTheFat is a simple, silent drop-launch utility to strip the code for the architecture(s) you're not using from a Universal application.

Just run the app, and drag your apps to it.

OP
Arekisu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies.

Kash, i've already got delocalizer, i take it monolingual does the same job.

Andrebnu, i'll download Pacifist and Trimthefat later and take a look at them.

I did however move all 21 episodes of Lost series 3 to my iPod, and also a recent comedy series. Saved me around 9Gb and they play just as good from the iPod as they did from the hdd.

Just need to get another external hdd to put ALL my videos on, i've got around 50Gb of Anime, and around 80Gb of adult material on an old hdd which is plugged into the downstairs pc.

I take it that just dragging the appliation to the trash will remove all files connected with it (Garageband installs loads of stuff).

Reaction score
Draggin' to the Trash removes the bulk but you might like to perform a SpotLight on 'GarageBand' just to catch some little files that are scattered about.

OP
Arekisu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Draggin' to the Trash removes the bulk but you might like to perform a SpotLight on 'GarageBand' just to catch some little files that are scattered about.

Did that and found 22 items, mostly folders and documents though.

I removed a few more things that i'll never use and now i've got 24Gb to play with.

OP
Arekisu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Using spotlight is very useful. Found loads of stuff for the other programs i removed, idvd, iphoto, iworks.

Also can i delete all the items in the Receipts folder, they look like just temporary files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.