Clean Install & Backup Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
Ok here is the deal.

I've read I don't know how many forums and posts on how to fix the problem I'm having with bootcamp not being able to partition my drive. So I'm going to try and backup all of my applications, documents, personal files and settings. Then I'm going to do a clean install of OS X and wipe the HD, use bootcamp then move all my files back.

So here are my questions.

What's the best/easiest/fastest way to backup all of the above aforementioned files to a backup hard drive that already contains backed up files that do not be removed or altered?

How do I wipe/format the hard drive and do a clean install? (I've read that some people have problems to a 100% clean install and I want to make sure that I take all precautions before I do this.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
you could lock or password protect or read only protect the files/folders you dont want to be touched
then move your backfiles to it in one big folder such as 'tiger backup' then make sure you have all your apps backed up and docs, music, pics, movies etc...
ESPECIALLY ITUNES PURCHASES

im not too sure how to wipe your hd completly but i think you insert your operating disc 1 and hold down 'c' on startup. this will boot from the cd. you can then reinstall and i think wipe it all.

anyone else know about the wiping and reinstall bit ? - cos im not too sure .

hope this helps

chris.

OP
Mike.Bowden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I was thinking that's how I'd have to do it. Was hoping that there would be a program that would backup everything for me with no problems, but all the programs that I've tried all want to wipe my backup hard drive clean.

OP
Mike.Bowden
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone else have anything to add?

I really need to get this done so I can get Windows on both my Macs. Need Windows for certain software and for games that I have to try and write reports on for school.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.